Chapter Five

A/N: The support I've been receiving only makes me want to write more. Enjoy!

Simone anxiously made her way into the driveway of the small music store Zee worked at. He had been ignoring her calls for at least a week, and she knew he couldn't avoid her here, at his own place of work. It was a far drive from her house, but she didn't care. All she wanted was to explain things to Zee, so they could get back to being in the good place they were in before. She wouldn't admit it out loud, but frankly, she missed him bursting into her home, raiding through her fridge, and falling asleep on her couch.
She dialed him one more time, as if by some miracle, he'd answer this time. Hopefully, she waited until the very last ring, but of course, no answer. This only made her anger level rise.
Grabbing her purse, she got out of her car and entered the music store. Spotting him in the back playing on a set of drums, she stormed over to him, a stomp in each step.
"What the fuck, Zee?"
Zee spun around in the small chair to see Simone standing, arms crossed, looking pissed as hell. "What, Si? What are you doing here?"
"You haven't answered or returned my phone calls-"
"And you're gonna come in here acting like you don't know why?" Zee challenged, standing up, now towering over his bestfriend. "I walked in on you..on you-"
He turned away, breaking eye contact, and going silent.
Si sighed, "You have a girlfriend, though. I can't have my fun too?"
"It's different," he let out. "You know about Lo, and you haven't told me shit about this new guy. We tell each other everything."
"Because he and I aren't that serious." She countered. "Look, I didn't drive all the way here to argue. I just want my bestfriend back."
Before Zee could answer, the doorbell chimes sounded throughout the store, signaling the entry of a customer.
"I gotta take that," he said, making his way around her. "I'll see you."
He didn't say when, he didn't say where. All he said were those three vague words. Simone rolled her eyes, catching up to him just to bump into him before exiting the store.
Slamming the car door behind her, she decided she would no longer stress about Zee. He'll come around, she told herself, but she knew it wouldn't be that easy.
-
"Can you please change the color, Jas?" Nylah complained. "It's been red for the longest, thanks to you."
"Girl, fuck you," Jas laughed. "And uno!" She cheered, placing a red draw 2 on the top of the stack of cards.
Simone rolled her eyes, picking up an extra 2 cards, and taking another puff from the blunt between her fingers before passing it to Nylah. "I'll be right back, I'm gonna grab some snacks."
Simone made her way into the kitchen, grabbing a family size of cool ranch Doritos, and three cherry Colas from the fridge.
"Jas won," Nylah commented, catching Simone back up to speed when she reentered the room.
"I don't know why y'all surprised," Jas teased. "I always do."
"Cheater," Nylah joked. "Speaking of cheaters, how are you and Zee?"
"We talked," Simone said, her mood changing as she thought about their earlier encounter. "He's still upset."
"Well, he did catch another man eating the pussy he thought was his." Jas said.
"That's the problem! He has no right to be mad, he has a girlfriend!" She noticed her volume rise, and realized she should calm down.
"Yeah, but Si, let's be honest; ever since high school, the only person he's wanted was you."
"It's not my fault-"
"It's not," Nylah agreed. "We're just saying, think about how he's feeling is all."
"Whatever happens, happens," Si shrugged it off. "I tried."
The girls spent another hour or so eating snacks and watching reruns of Insecure on tv.
Around midnight, there was a knock on Simone's apartment door. Nylah quickly put the blunt out and stuffed the bag of weed between the sofa cushions as Simone made her way to open the door. Looking out the peephole, she noticed it was only Derion.
"It's okay, it's not the police." Simone laughed, reassured them, and opened the door.
"Hey," he hugged her, smiling. "You smell just like weed, and I love it."
She laughed, wrapping her arms around his neck. He began kissing her, and caressing her face with his thumb.
"Get a room!" Nylah shouted, her and Jas laughing at the scene in front of them.
"I forgot to tell you I was hanging with my friends tonight," Simone said, apologetically. "But we can hang out tomorrow if-"
"Si, it's fine, honestly." Jas said. "I have to get home to Cj soon anyway. He's probably expecting me soon."
"Yeah, and I have to go water my dog." Nylah laughed.
Simone looked to Derion. "Well, come in."
"Thanks for that," Derion said, shaking hands with Nylah and Jasmine. "I'm Derion-"
"Oh, we know all about you," Nylah interjected. "You're the man whose been making our best friend real happy."
"Reaaaaalllll happy." Jas laughed.
"Childish." Simone rolled her eyes, slightly smiling.
"Love you too." Nylah blew her a kiss, and then directed her attention to Derion. "See you later, chick."
"Be safe and don't do anything I wouldn't do." Jas laughed. "I'll take you home, Ny, come on."
With that, the girls were out of the apartment, leaving Simone and Derion to enjoy each other's companies for the rest of the night.
-
"D, wake up," Simone continued to softly shake him in his sleep. "I gotta go to work, wake up."
He'd fallen asleep at her apartment the previous night, and was obviously a heavy sleeper.
"Hmm?" he questioned, not fully conscious yet.
"I'm leaving for work," she repeated, now irritated because she would be late. "I know you live just across the hall, but you can shower here if you like. Towels are in my closet, okay?" He murmured a sleepy "okay", and she kissed his cheek before leaving her apartment for work.
It wasn't until noon when Derion found himself finally waking up. He glanced around the room, and smiled, reminiscing on the events of last night.
No, they did not have sex, although the sexual tension was definitely there. They'd both decided to wait a while longer, knowing that if everything worked out, it would feel even better.
To: Simone
Don't forget to smile and have a good day at work. 😌
Sent
Grabbing a towel from the closet, he made his way to her walk in shower and got in, the water dripping down every inch of his body.
He liked Simone, like really liked, and wanted it to work out more than she probably knew. During one of their discussions, she told him how she'd been single for going on a year, and every toxic thing she went through with her ex. He wanted nothing more than to be the person to change her outlook relationships, and love.
His thoughts were interrupted when he heard the front door to Simone's apartment open and close. He figured Simone had gotten off early, or was coming home from her break. He stepped out of the shower, wrapped a towel around his lower half, and walked out into the front room only to find a rather familiar  face seated on the couch watching cartoons.
Zee turned around as soon as he heard someone approaching, and jumped out of his seat when he saw the guy who he'd caught in the act with Simone.
Simultaneously, both men questioned, "What the hell are you doing here?"
-