036 || survivor

•••

•••

"See? I told you she'd be okay. Nat please stop worrying"
"Tony she's still not awake yet - How the fuck was she even in this position in the first place?"
"We were sent the videos, Dalia ratted her out? I don't know who she is"
Natasha gasped, slamming something on the table soon after.
"That bitch!"
"Who is she?"
"That's her childhood best friend. She was her maid of honour and Coopers godmother"
"Oh, wow"
"I think I'll need to step out for a ... friendly chat"
"Natasha, no"
"But-"
"Is she okay?" A new voice joined the mix, though it seemed oddly familiar.
"She's going to be fine Jess, honest" Nat said, her smile audible in her tone.
"Peter said she was told they had her kids, they didn't did they?"
"No. Fury found them not long after she was taken. They're safe, don't you worry"
The door closed again and there was a brief silence, before I heard shuffling to my left.

"Grace you need to wake up now. I'm getting bored of watching you sleep"
I snickered quietly, earning an extremely light slap from the redhead as I opened my eyes.
"How long?"
"About ten minutes" I sniggered rasping, lifting my hand to my forehead as it throbbed painfully, "fucking feels like I've been hit by a hammer"
"Well you did black out from lack of oxygen so that's not incredibly surprising" she sassed, moving some of my hair out of my face "not to mention he hit you twice in the head with a metal pole"
"The kids -"
"Safe and hidden, we're gonna have to take you there at some point cos Tony's going to announce that you're dead"
"What - Why?"
"Fury agreed with him, if they think that they were successful the one that got away won't try looking for you again"
"But Clint -"
"Tony will tell him before announcing it"
I let out a pained sigh, my fingers moving to my throat. A hiss escaped my lips as I brushed the bruised skin.
"How bad is it?"
"Pretty bad. You'll have a concussion for at least another few days and you're going to struggle to eat. Doc said you bruised your larynx, so it's gonna be real painful to swallow"
"Lovely"
"I'm just glad you're safe" she whispered, moving forward so her head rested on my chest.
"Thank you for saving me" I whispered, stroking her hair lightly, inviting the familiar comforting touch, "Clint wouldn't have forgiven himself"
"Not just Clint - the avengers that are left went into a fucking uproar once we got the message. Steve sent it to us in a panic because he couldn't turn back around to save you"
"Did he get away?"
"Steve? Yes"
"The men ... they said something about Clint and the twins being in a state prison? What do they mean?"
Nat let out a long sigh, rubbing her temples.
"Everyone on Cap's side minus him, Bucky and Marzia was captured and put in a secret prison somewhere in the ocean"
"What the fuck. That's type of shit is for criminals. Like really bad criminals! Why the fuck are they in there?"
Nat shrugged guiltily, "I didn't know this would happen Grace. I'm so sorry"
"I heard Fury shout at me before I passed out - where is he?"
"He went straight back to the kids, had left them with Maria Hill. I don't think I've ever seen him so angry"
I chuckled softly, my hands still stroking her hair.
"Have you changed your conditioner?"
"What?"
"It feels different"
"Well - Yeah I have" she said, scoffing slightly, "is that seriously what you're thinking about right now?"

•••

"Jessica! Nice to see you again"
"Hello Ms Barton -"
"Please call me Grace, I don't like sounding old" I winked, looking to the boy on her right, "oooh who is this? Got yourself a boyfriend already? You work quick"
"Uh - no I'm - I'm Peter. Mr Stark brought me here after G-Germany" the boy greeted awkwardly, glancing back at Jessica worriedly, "I'm really sorry about your husband -"
I waved him off, a small smile on my face, "it's okay. If I know my husband he's not going to be in there for long"
The two laughed awkwardly.
"I'll leave you two alone - use protection!" I winked as I walked past, hearing Peter spluttering behind me. I kept walking until I hit the common room, spotting the rest of the avengers.
"I'm not dead!" I cheered, walking into the room.
"You're welcome" Tony smirked, walking over to give me a quick hug.
"Ooh this is new" I laughed, raising my eyebrow at Nat over his shoulder.
"I think near death experiences earn you a hug" he shrugged, before walking back over to the bar.
"I'll take it"