Perfect Illusions: Prologue

Hello all! This is my first story on Wattpad so all comments, good and bad (I promise I dont offend easily!) are very much appreciated! Kudos, to my awesome editor stephanie, without whom I would be lost...

Prologue

Two small children stood under a tree, pink flowers blooming on each side of their tiny bodies. The sight was beautiful, and the unseen Being couldn't help but agree. But no matter how breathtaking, Time is strong and her companion Fate, remains steady and cruel. Taking away the options of those who might otherwise lead a good life and twisting it into something deformed and full of malicious intent.

The little girl would be no different. Or would she? Though the Being noted that the light surrounding her was white with the innocence of childhood, the faint ting of blue that barely emanated also signified a purity that would carry over time. Despite this, or possibly because of it, the girl would play into Fates hands as easy as if she were silly putty.

A sudden movement from the boy caused the Being to chuckle and shift in its high perch up in the tree to get a better look. Long strands of turquoise got in the way as a breeze went by, but they were brushed impatiently back behind a pointed ear. The kid was holding the girl's hand intently, as if it were his lifeline. The expression of determination on his face was not one someone his age (which could not be more than nine or ten) should know, yet it suited him. The slant of his eyebrows over his intelligent eyes was a move that seemed familiar to him and he had no problem doing it as he got down on one knee in front of the girl.

The Being's smile flickered across its perfect cherry lips. Surely he did not intend it...? Yet he did, the Being noticed with amusement, as the girl who couldn't have been more than four or five nodded ecstatically.

The Being glanced up suddenly and noted briefly that their time was almost up. It stood and took an object out of a plain brown satchel that had been tied around its belt. Careful not to touch the actual object, the Being held the thing by its perfectly pointed claws and waited until the plastic ring was slipped onto the girl's chubby finger before releasing it.

The object fell down fast and hit the little girl on the head, causing her to teeter and fall into the little boy. Cruel the action might have been, orders were orders and unless it had made direct contact with her after activation, it wouldn't have worked. As the wails of the tiny girl filled the air the Being gave a small sad smile at what would be the last of meaningless tears.

With a gust of wind that went unnoticed by the two children, the Being unfurled it's brilliant white wings and ruffled the feathers slightly.

"The task assigned will not be an easy one for you," the Being whispered, voice light as chimes, " but the Other is out there and, should you find it, the road ahead might not be so cruel."

Then, the Being leaped off the tree and flew away as the white wings flapped with ease.

~~~~~

Down under the tree, the little boy had been pledging his love for the girl before a strange thing fell out of the sky and hit her on the skull, distracting him. When she calmed and reassured him she was fine, he turned his attention back to their previous conversation. It was then that he noticed a flash of white through the sea of pink. Reaching up, he gently grabbed the floating thing out of the air and examined it. His face lit up as he realized what it was.

"Look Mizuki! It's the feather of the rare white owl! It's said to bring you good luck!"

The little girl, who had gotten over the initial shock of being hit, rubbed her head and plucked the feather from his hands as he held it out to her. It was worth losing that priceless object for the look of pure delight that crossed Mizuki's face.

"Fank you so much!" she squealed and wrapped her small arms around his waist. "You're da best husberd ever!"

He coughed, slightly embarrassed as he corrected her pronunciation of "husband". His eyes fell on the object that had fallen out of the sky and started to reach towards it. However, Mizuki's arms prevented him from bending properly and he told her to pick it up instead.

She reached down and picked it up curiously. Opening it, she looked through it then stopped as a peculiar feeling came over her.

"What is it?" the boy asked. "Should I-"

He reached for it, but she snatched it away from his grasp and shook her head fiercely.

"No," she said quietly, all traces of childish humor gone. "There's nofing for you to see."

Though it wouldn't be a few years until the object would be used, its purpose was clear to the girl as if she had been born with the knowledge. Her "husband", mother, and father couldn't touch it; no one could besides her otherwise...well she didn't know exactly, but it wouldn't be good. And if she had had her suspicions about this before, they were confirmed when one day, after snatching the object away from Mizuki, the little boy in question almost died.

From then on it was cursed. Something that was pondered and a mystery was now something to be burdened by. The name fit perfectly, Mizuki thought, and she couldn't have been more correct in her interpretation. From that day on she would forever call the object that had fallen from the sky and changed her life:

The Death Note.