Chapter 2

Nole hated the quiet. With six people in one room, it shouldn’t have been so silent, but no one knew what to say or even how to respond. Taro was usually useful in these situations, but when Nole glanced at his friend from the corner of his eye, he caught him displaying a shocked expression – mouth slightly open, eyebrows raised, and blue eyes fixed on Betty. In fact, the last feature was one that all the Runners had. They all gazed anxiously at Betty, waiting for her to clarify. She wasn’t one for jokes, but Nole prayed that she was kidding. 

“Feel free to stay here, but I’m heading out for a few weeks. Maybe a month,” she added. “Valerie, I expect you to take care of things while I’m gone. Keep an eye on the complex, and Burt. Tell the tenants collection will be late, but they better have the rent when I get back. Whenever that is.”

Nole had had enough. Shoving the chair behind him, he stood abruptly to meet her at eye level. “What are you talking about? You can’t just leave! And what do you mean by permanently? Why are we disbanded?”

"Why do you care?” she asked nonchalantly. When she reached for her back pocket, Nole flinched out of habit, but relaxed when he saw it was a pack of cigarettes. She tapped the bottom of the carton and pulled out a single cigarette with her teeth. “I don’t need Runners if I’m not here. Besides, I said you’re free to stay here,” she continued, the cigarette dangling from her lips all the while. “I don’t need rent from you or your siblings either. You’ve done enough to earn your keep. That goes for all of you. You’re free to stay here,“ she paused as her eyes shifted to Zane for a millisecond, but Nole caught it. “Or go elsewhere. It’s up to you.”

“That’s not what I mean!” he shouted. His eyes searched the other Runners for any sense of frustration, but none of them seemed willing to question Betty either out of understanding, respect, or fear. “We need you here.”

He hated how desperate he sounded. Even more, he hated how she looked at him unsympathetically. It was obvious that his words would have no effect on her decision. Although their relationship had grown exponentially from what it once was, Betty was cold by nature, and her behavior in that moment only solidified Nole’s impression of her.

“Valerie here is going to see to your sister, and anyone else that needs medical attention.”

While he relied on Valerie for her expertise, Betty wasn’t just a doctor to him. She kept them safe and maintained order among the Runners. This was plainly obvious, but no one said anything to back him up.

Finally someone else spoke up. “Where are ya headed?” Taro asked, more indifferently than Nole would’ve liked. All five Runners turned to Betty, genuinely curious.

“I’m going to see an old acquaintance about,” she paused, as if trying to find the right words. “An old business deal.” Flicking the butt of her cigarette into the jade green ashtray, Betty blew a billow of smoke from pursed lips.

It seemed as though no one would press her further, which agitated Nole immensely. The rest of the meeting wasn’t much of a meeting. Betty instructed Valerie to take care of anyone who became sick. She told them to limit their time outdoors because pneumonia was, in her words, “a damned pain in the ass.” She also instructed Olivia to maintain the peace. Nole had a feeling the order was an indirect reference to him and Zane. She said she would be back in a few weeks, not bothering to give them an exact date, or even a rough estimate of when she’d return.

The cab was already waiting outside and her bags were already packed. Although Nole was both angry and confused, he went to the window alongside Valerie, Olivia, and Taro to watch. Then, without a wave or even a wistful glance, she was gone.

***

The complex without Betty was different to say the least. In terms of just the Runners, or ex-Runners, morale was low. Valerie carried on as usual, checking Suri’s temperature while Olivia somberly tossed a rubber ball for Burt to retrieve. In the corner of the lobby, Taro moped silently and Zane was nowhere to be seen. No one had seen him leave the complex, so Nole assumed he was stewing in his room.