15 | The Fall

I was curious about where Matt was going to take me on our date, he hadn't told me anything at all about what he had planned. But unsurprisingly, when he offered his arm out for me to hold as the valet hopped in the car and sped off, I was transfixed on the entrance of one of the nicest restaurants I had ever seen. The exterior was a breathtaking collision of twinkling lights and magnificent koi ponds that flurried with bright colors of the swimming fish below us. Inside, the warm atmosphere was amplified with stunning Japanese décor and the upbeat buzz of people dining.

"I hope you like sushi." Matt said as we waited in line to be seated.

"Honestly, I've never tried it." I admitted while observing the restaurant's customers plates, trying to get a good look at the multiple types of sushi being served. I focused back on Matt and I instantly recognized the disbelief on his face.

"You've never tried it??" He asked, his eyes darting back and forth between mine. "Well, get ready to have your world turned upside down."

I giggled at his enthusiasm, not quite understanding how anyone could get excited about raw fish. I could understand if it was cheesy pizza being served, then I would be just as eager, but sushi was just something I never thought I would actually try.

"Good evening." A tall and fashionable-looking woman greeted us as we reached the front of the line, she stood behind a hostess stand with a leather-bound book open in front of her. "I'm sorry but there's a forty-five-minute waiting period, unless you—"

"Have a reservation?" Matt cut her off and took the reins, grabbing her attention quickly with his suave voice. "Yeah it should be under Benson."

The woman paused and dragged her gaze over him, lingering on the expensive silver watch that flawlessly hugged his wrist. She tucked away a strand of glossy hair that had escaped her perfectly kempt bun and smiled. "I'll check for you, sir." She said warmly, flipping through the book and running her index finger across the multitude of names. 

The waiting period, reservations, calling Matt 'sir'...there was no doubt in my mind that this restaurant was out of my league. On an average Saturday night, I would normally be binge watching TV shows and eating cookie dough in my pajamas.

"Oh yes, here it is." She tapped Matt's name on the page and then closed the book. "I'll show you to your table, right this way."

* * *

As the evening progressed, Matt was being a perfect gentleman in every way. He pulled out my chair for me, ordered for me when I had utterly no idea what I was looking at on the menu, and even helped me figure out how to use chopsticks without making me feel like a naïve child. We were seated in a cosy corner of the restaurant, so conversation wasn't strained over the noise of people that flowed around us.

I wouldn't say that I absolutely adored the taste of sushi, it was kind of a different texture to anything I had eaten before. But there were definitely variants that I enjoyed more than others; although I think I liked the look of it more than anything. It was so vibrant and flawlessly shaped; you just knew that whoever what making it had an eye for art as well. Combine that with the tangy, spicy and rich flavors, and I was quickly growing to understand the popularity of it.

"I never even asked you how New York was." I said, setting my chopsticks down and looking at Matt over the glowing candle that burned between us.

"I was there for such a short time; it hardly feels like I left." He laughed and put his chopsticks down as well. "But it was okay. I basically just got there, slept for a while, went to my dad's brunch and then left. And I'm sorry again for leaving the party, it's really not how I saw the night going."