15. Hold On

In woodshop our book shelf was nearly done. We had done the sanding, added the stain, did some more sanding. Now we had to add the varnish.

We were outside for that part so no one would pass out from the paint fumes. Our group tackled each side of the shelf, coating it with the varnish to make the shelf glossy.

Mr. Barton let us hangout outside, soaking up the afternoon sun, while we waited for the coat to dry. Me, Candi and Hannah sat in the grass under a shady tree, the other students spread out in the grass as well or went back into the class room.

I only half listened to Hannah's story about how she and her older sister saw some celebrity at a gas station. My mind was focused on other things.

Since first period the whispers hadn't stopped. It seemed like the whole school knew about Nolan and I. It's what we wanted. Unfortunately, they weren't talking about us being cute or saying we were couple goals.

I never knew there were so many words for slut.

"Are the rumors about you and Nolan true?" Candi asked, pulling me back into the conversation.

Nolan was off to the side, leaning against the building's wall, away from everyone else as usual. He was tapping away at his phone, a scowl on his face. Either he was telling someone off or losing at Candy Crush.

I turned back to Candi. "That we're together, yes. Everything else is a lie."

Hannah let out a breath, clutching her chest. "Oh, good! Because I don't think I can associate myself with someone who would have sex in a public bathroom," she said, shuddering at the thought.

My own face scrunched up. "Is that what they're saying?"

"The people at this school really need to find better ways to spend their time," Candi chimed in.

"That's Bellcreek for you," Hannah sighed. "We should change our mascot from the Grizzlies to the Gossips."

Candi's brows pulled together. "What would that mascot even look like?"

I didn't get to hear Hannah's vision for the Gossip mascot because Nolan distracted me, waving me over.

I excused myself before walking across the asphalt the separated the grass area from the building. "What's up?"

The warm summer breeze dislodged a few wisps of hair from behind his ear and pushed them back. "What are you doing after school?"

"I have to take Taylor to Tiny Sprouts and then go see Mrs. Grice about a job."

"I'll take you," he offered.

I snorted. "On your motorcycle? And where would Taylor sit, the handlebars?"

He didn't seem amused by my reply. "We'll swing buy my place and get the car. Just let me take you home."

There was something else layered beneath his usual bored tone. The way his eyes shifted to our classmates made me uneasy.

"Is something going on?"

Instead of answering he slipped his arms around my waist, pulling me into his chest. My heart jack hammered as my nostrils filled with that generic boy scent.

He ducked his head as if he was about to kiss my neck, stopping just mere centimeters from actual contact. His warm breath fanned against my skin as he spoke, sending a wave of goosebumps down my arms.

"I don't know if it's true," he whispered. "But I heard some people talking about cornering you after school."

"Why?" I choked out in a weak whisper, trying to focus on anything but our bodies pressed together.