Ch. 9

Yes, I am aware that I'm moving things around, so the timing isn't canonical, I'm just using it for plot.

Shorter chapter, sorry.

I have a lot going on, so that's why.

Anywho.

They were okay.

Stane was gone, and everything was okay.

Until it wasn't.

"Are you out of your mind, Tony? Peter has literally only now accepted you, fully, as his dad, and now you're just recklessly throwing yourself into horrible situations like yesterday! Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"Not that it would make a difference."

"Tony, you think Peter wants to lose you like he lost his mom? He was so scared when you disappeared. You dying would break him. He's only eight, Tony."

"I am well aware of my own child's age, Rhodes."

"Great. That was the only thing that got through? Listen to me, Tony. You can't just do this to him. I won't let you."

"And what will you do, Rhodey? Take him back to the orphanage?"

"Yes." His voice was firm, and unrelenting. "If that's what it takes, Tony, I will. He deserves better than this."

Tony was silent. "Rhodey, just listen to me-"

"No, Tones. I'm sorry. This isn't what's best for him. Not by a long shot. I'm taking him back tomorrow."

Peter woke up to Uncle Rhodey shaking his shoulder. "Peter. Hey bud. You need to get up."

The eight year old sat up groggily. "What's wrong?"

Rhodey shook his head briefly. "You're going back to see your aunt and uncle."

Peter's eyes widened. "Was I a bad boy?"

He was pulled into a quick hug. "No, no. You were good."

His lip trembled. "My dad doesn't want me?"

The door opened, and Pepper strode through, faltering when she saw Rhodey frantically packing, and Peter's tearful expression. "Rhodey, what are you doing?"

His uncle's expression was hard. "I'm taking him to his aunt and uncle. I found out who they are, and I'm taking him there. They said they can take him in."

Peter hugged his knees. "But I wanna stay with my dad."

Pepper hugged him tightly. "It won't be forever. Your dad isn't feeling good. Once he gets better, you can come back."

"Promise?" His voice trembled with hidden sadness. "I don't wanna leave."

"I promise."