XXVIII.ii

↱"Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect

"Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect."

-Margaret Mitchell.

the rescue mission/part 2

THE SUN HAD BEGUN TO SET and the darkening of the sky did nothing to appease the blood covered soil and the tortured screams of lost souls that bounced on and off the flat landscape.

From every side, Reiner was being overwhelmed by Titans; crawling up his leg, dangling from his arms, and chewing at his ankles.

Katerina barely had any time to register the group that was overtaking him because she rode with Levi, struggling to hold her grip as they serpentined between massive hands from the sky threatening to pluck them.

"Levi," Katerina gasped as she was almost thrown from his back, his horse reeling back to avoid another Titan. "We can't do this for much longer!"

"I know," he managed to struggle out while one of his hands held Katerina's thigh in place as he quickly swerved his horse. "But you don't have another horse and I'm not letting you get off."

Katerina looked in front of her at Ymir and Historia, who had managed to jump off of Reiner just in time before more Titans began piling up on top of him.

Reiner was beginning to frantically shove the Titans off of him, but after realizing that the attempt was futile with only one hand, he brought down his other that was previously protecting Bertholdt and a captive Eren.

"I have an idea!" Katerina yelled, bracing her hands on Levi's shoulders as she awkwardly tried to stand straight on the back of the horse.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Levi questioned hastily, wanting to but not being able to tear his eyes away from the scene in front of him to look at her.

Katerina ignored Levi as she saw Erwin motioning for her across the way, coming up to Reiner from his other side.

"Following Erwin's lead for once," she chuckled as she jumped off the horse and used the ODM gear to latch on to the Titans in her path, using them merely as different landing and propelling points.

"Damn it!" Levi growled as he tried to spin around to follow after her, unable to because of the mounting bodies that blocked his path.

Off in the distance, Katerina was closing in on Erwin's position as she gracefully maneuvered her way through the terrifying bodies, trying her best to block out the screams of agony and ignore little flecks of blood that were landing on her face.

As she finally found herself in Erwin's earshot, Katerina stood on a Titan's shoulder who was too distracted eating a fellow shoulder to notice her while she tried to listen to what Commander was saying.