Chapter 4: A memory of the forest

Short chapter today...I'm sorry!! But summer break is coming up, so I'll have much more time to write then! thanks for reading <3 -iB

(Y/n)'s POV

The second I wake up, I know something is off. Sunlight filters through the canopy of trees above me. I lay on the barren ground, a phantom pain aching through my side and shoulder. Why am I outside? Where is the shrine?

I hear the shifting of leaves beside me. I turn toward the noise and nearly faint in surprise. There is someone sitting there. Could it be him? My protector? The one always in my dreams? Will I finally be able to see his face? I look up, eager to know. Tomoe's dark blue eyes pierce through me. This...this is not him...right?

Tomoe tilts his head. "Who are you?" he asks, in a tone that makes me uneasy.

Why are you asking me that? Don't you know me, Tomoe? I try to say these words, but I'm unable to. Perhaps...this is one of my memories?

He smirks. "Not going to talk, I see," he says, bringing a hand to my face and leaning in closer. His eyes hold me captive in a glare, remaining bright and glowing as our surroundings fade away.

As I wake up again, I find myself still staring into Tomoe's eyes. Wait, am I still in the dream? But no, I can't be; this time I feel the cold reality of the morning air as it hits me.

"(Y/n), are you alright?" Tomoe asks, concern on his face.
I wrap my arms around myself, shivering from the cold. "I think so," I say quietly.
Tomoe kneels in front of me. "What are you doing out here?!" he asks.

I look around, realizing I am outside in the forest, just like in the dream.

"I...I don't know," I say dejectedly.

" 'I don't know'?!? Is that all you have to say? Do you know how worried I was when I realized my idiot goddess was missing?"

A spark of hope lights in my heart. Tomoe was worried about me? At my silence, Tomoe sighs and pulls me off the ground.

"Ugh, seriously. Why do I have to deal with this? You-you were just sitting there on the ground, as if you were in a trance...You need to be more careful, you know? Who knows what could be out here in the middle of the night!"

"You're right, Tomoe, but I really don't know what happened. Maybe I was just sleepwalking? I'm really sorry...all I do is cause you trouble and give you nothing in return," I say, feeling shameful.

Tomoe's POV

As I'm about to lecture her more, something about the look on her face stops me. She looks so lost, so uncertain. And she isn't arguing back like usual...

Feeling conflicted, I reply, "Well...you certainly do cause me trouble, but...I'm your familiar. It's alright to rely on me..."

She looks up at me with her hopeful, (e/c) eyes. "Really?" she asks.

I look away from her, suddenly feeling flustered. "Y-yes, it's fine. So don't worry about all this. I'll just have to keep an eye out at night from now on to make sure you don't wander off again."

(Y/n) smiles up at me, and before I know it she's wrapped her arms around me. "So you can be nice sometimes, fox." she says.

"What are you doing?! Don't get ahead of yourself, girl!" I say, trying to push her off. She just grins at me and stays latched to my side as we head back to the shrine.

Geez...why am I letting this (y/a) yokai get the best of me?

(Y/n)'s POV

For now...I will keep these strange dream-memories a secret from Tomoe. Though I do wonder...was Tomoe a part of my past?