Chapter 10: Illusions of Romance

Start from the beginning

Jane gaped at her. Perhaps she was dreaming after all. The visit was already so surreal, she wondered if some of the healing ointments Casimir gave her earlier had been accidentally suffused with LSD. "I'm interested in getting back to Earth alive!"

Her voice was too loud. It echoed off the mirrors.

Avdotya's gaze darkened, and Jane felt her well-being slip several notches.

"Sorry," Jane said. "That is—I didn't mean to offend you."

The door opened, and an old woman sidled in. A colorful knit shawl covered her head and neck. Beneath the shawl Jane made out features-a withered nose and wrinkled forehead and wry, sprightly eyes. She carried a tray with what looked like tea and croissants.

"Not, now Lidea," Avdotya snapped. "Can't you see I'm busy? Give it to Sidor, if he's done sulking in his room."

The old woman left, with an apologetic glance at Jane.

Avdotya sighed. "I tire of this foolery. Your first godstest, my godstest, will be soon, and since Divna didn't give me the option of stranding you on a desert island with one of your possible love interests, this one will be boring... as usual. You'll probably die - honestly, I don't care one way or another at this point. Divna, can you please send her back now? I'm so sick of this—"

"Wait—" said Jane.

A gold haze surrounded her. The room with mirrors faded, replaced by the darkness of her bedroom in the palace. Jane sank onto her bed, rubbing her eyes.

It was a long time before she fell back to sleep.

~*~

When she opened the door in response to Kir's knock the next morning, the prince's face collapsed into a relieved smile. "You're all right!" he said. "I was afraid you'd be angry! You looked ready to murder us yesterday after that fall. I've had words with my brother, strong words! So has Father! It won't happen again. Are your hands better? Divna, they were bleeding quite horribly yesterday-I'm so sorry-"

Not for the first time, she marveled at how different the two brothers were. The fact that Kir had bothered to apologize when he hadn't been at fault spoke volumes for his personality.

Avdotya's words about Kir came back to her, and chills shivered across her spine. Her memories of the previous night were admittedly vague, but in the cold light of day, the encounter seemed sinister. The goddess had spoken of the crown prince-of love interests-of Jane's possible death...

Kir watched her with a worried frown.

Jane forced a smile. "Thanks for being so concerned." Her hands felt clammy. She wiped them on her training clothes. "I'm okay-Casimir healed me up yesterday."

"You have no romantic interest in the crown prince? If you had any decency, you could at least give me that much..."

Jane stared up at Kir's unassuming face with its freckles and overlarge nose. It wasn't an ugly face. His eyes, at least, were kind. She tried to feel something—a spark of attraction, a flicker of desire—but she felt only awkwardness and mild embarrassment. It was like trying to feel romantically attracted to the neighborhood corgi.

Ah well. Here goes nothing. "I've been wondering." She clasped her hands to hide their shaking. "Why did you kiss me the first day I was here?"

Kir beamed at her. His face glowed like a beacon.

"Ever since I was young," he said, "I hoped my true love would be an avtorka. Mother and Father were both very happy... before Mother passed away."

His expression was painfully hopeful.