Chapter 9

"MAAAA!" Nubbins' voice from the hall screamed followed by the heart rendering wail of a panicked and frightened child.

It took a moment for my mind to register what the foreign noise was.  I could visibly see the confusion on Loretta and Drayton's face. When the shrill and piteous sob emanated once again, louder and more ear-splitting than before, they both dropped what they were doing and sped to the foyer to locate the source of the mysterious cry.

I wasn't far behind and Bubba was at my heels like always. Whipping around the corner and into the foyer, I almost rammed into Drayton's back–and I would've too if it hadn't been for Bubba tugging me back by my skirt. He and Loretta were frozen in place, their eyes like saucers as they gawked at Nubbins covered in black smudges and looking a mess, but what really had them and me dumbfounded was the wiggling burlap sack hanging from his clenched fist.

Loretta slapped a hand over her heart, clutching the fabric of her dress along with the brass locket around her neck. "Where've ya...why've ya... Nubbins, whatcha got in that bag?!"

"You got a damn kid in there?!" Drayton shouted, his face turning cherry red.

"Yeah! Ain't it great!" Nubbins replied with a malicious grin as he shook the bag, making the child scream louder. 

Lunging forward, Drayton swiped his arms out, clawing for the squirming sack dangling from Nubbins' hand but the baby-napper was swift. He jumped back and tucked the sack containing the squalling baby behind his back before Drayton could snatch it. 

"Nuh-uh! Ain't fer you, Cook!" said the kidnapping menace. "It-It's f-fer grandpa!" He shoved past us into the living room, holding the sack up by his face and mocking the cries. "Waaa waaa! Heheh!"

"You brainless coonsh!t, what's Grandpa gon' do with that thang?!" Drayton shouted as he stormed after Nubbins followed by Loretta who looked ready to pass out every time Nubbins was too ruff with the bundled baby. 

"Thought it'd cheer 'im up! Make 'im feel like 'is old self again." he crossed the room and knelt by the old man parked by the window, dropping the bundled in his grandfather's lap. "Lookie what I brought ya, grandpa! Jus' fer you, we-we're gon' letchu have this one!"

The squeak of floorboards as Bubba adjusted his footing snapped me back into consciousness. My mouth was hanging agape; I hadn't realized it. I was quite literally stunned by the situation. All at once a surge of adrenalin flooded my veins, screaming at me to do something, anything because that child was in grave danger. 

I grabbed handfuls of Bubba's button-down shirt and tugged to get his attention away from the chaos and onto me. "Bubba! You have to do something, I–I need your help! Your brother, he's crazy! Bubs, he kidnapped a baby! You can't let him hurt it, please!" 

He chewed his nails as he looked from me to Nubbins then back to me, his eyes wanting to focus on my face, but the squawking kept a captive hold on his attention. A series of whimpers slipped from his throat putting me in mind of an anxious puppy. His black dust coated cowboy boots shuffled backward across the floor as he scooted away from me, palms up and facing outward. 

Is he...is he telling me 'no?' Really?! Any other time he's jumping at the chance to do something that'll please me but nooo, not today when I'm desperately needing his help!

I huffed, expelling the frustration swelling inside. Spinning on my heels, I turned and darted for the squirming bundle in grandpa's lap. My hand collided with Nubbins' chest as I shoved him back and scooped the baby up before he or anyone else could object. I cradled the infant in the crook of my arm and retreated to the corner of the room to unravel the babe and free it from the scratchy fabric.