27: Telling Them

Tu Cho knocked on the door of the room Katara was healing Aang in before she opened it. Aang was still passed out and Katara was intent on healing him. Tu Cho sat on the stool beside Katara. "How's he doing?" The group had returned to Hakoda and the water tribe warriors to prepare for Sokka's eclipse plan to be executed. They were on a captured fire nation ship.

"The same as before..." Katara sighed. "But at least he's still alive..."

Tu Cho grabbed Katara's hand. "Katara... I really need you to help me out... I've been trying to find the time to see you about this for a while now..."

"I have time now. What is it?"

"Okay. There's almost no way you have not noticed yet... I'm pregnant."

"What? Really?" Katara said excitedly. "How long?"

Tu Cho smiled as she blinked in surprise. There was almost no way Katara hadn't known as she was definitely showing, but she might not have noticed as Tu Cho was eating for two so it made sense that she would put on weight. "About 5 months."

"5 months?" Katara said. "Who's the Dad?"

Tu Cho shook her head and wrapped her arms around herself awkwardly. Tu Cho refused to say it still. It couldn't be real, as real as it was.

"Hey..." Katara saw all the signs. "It's not your fault." Tu Cho looked at the young teen healer. "But you'll have to tell Sokka."

"I know..." Tu Cho sighed and walked around the room looking at the fire nation tapestries. "But how do I do something like that?"

"Just tell him." Katara stood and put a hand on Tu Cho's shoulder. "Sokka is a bit of an idiot at times but he's understanding and kind."

"I know that. The heart of a warrior. I'm sure of what my heart is telling me... Do you remember the fortune teller?"

"Yeah."

"Her fortune for me, the love one... She said I'd marry someone with the heart of a wolf." Tu Cho smiled. "And he definitely fits the bill."

"I'm so glad to hear that..." Katara smiled. "A lot of people have come to me for advice lately, Tu Cho. Including my brother. He's head over heels for you."

Tu Cho smiled. She might not have seemed it at the time, but that was the happiest she'd ever been. Sokka loved her and she loved him. Tu Cho's smile stayed on her face as she set her hand on her stomach and the baby moved.

"My advice to you is to tell him before he tries doing something stupid."

"Oh he's done plenty of stupid..." Tu Cho giggled. "But you can't help but love who you love, right? Where is he now?"

"He's in a strategy meeting with our father and the other warriors now."

"You know, so much has been going on for the last week that I never properly met your father. His name is Hakoda right?"

"Yeah." Katara didn't sound happy with him.

"Do you want to talk about him?"

"No. It's not your problem."

"Okay." Tu Cho hugged Katara. "Thank you, Katara."

~~~

The door of the meeting room was open when Tu Cho arrived. She peered into the room, playing with her braided hair.

"But what will we do about the fire nation ships?" Sokka asked. "They won't just allow us passage."

Hakoda nodded in agreement. "We'll just have to put on our disguises and think on our feet."

Tu Cho stepped into the room. "I'm sorry to interrupt."

"It's not a problem, miss." Hakoda smiled. "We were just finishing up for now." The room slowly cleared as everyone except Hakoda, Sokka, and Tu Cho left to do other things. "Tu Cho, right?"

She nodded. "Yes. Chief Hakoda, correct?"

"You can just call me Hakoda."

"Hey, Tu Cho," Sokka interrupted. "Could I talk to you in private?"

Tu Cho sensed the new something stupid Katara had warned her of was coming soon. "Yes. I was actually just looking for you." Hakoda excused himself, leaving just the pair alone in the meeting room.

Sokka started, "Tu Cho, I need to tell you something."

"Stop." Tu Cho grabbed his hand as she sat on one of the chairs beside him. "I have to go first so you can't say something dumb that you'll regret." She sighed. "Okay. T-there is no easy way to get this out so I'll just say it. Sokka, I'm pregnant." She looked down and braced herself for a storm of questions or for him to get upset. Saying that out loud had been frightening and the words hung heavy in the air. This was the moment. If Sokka loved her the way Aunt Wu had said, nothing bad would happen. But if he didn't, if that was the final straw, Sokka would reject her. This was make or break time.

Nothing happened for a moment. A moment that scared the young woman further than she already was. Then Sokka took his hand out of hers. His arms wrapped around her head, telling her he was standing, and he pulled her close to his chest. He kissed the top of her head with a smile.

Tu Cho smiled and looked up at him. She had fully been aware that he could leave her and she wouldn't have blamed him. She put her arms around his torso.

"Tu Cho, I love you." Sokka leaned back and lightly tipped Tu Cho's head up. He leaned down and placed his lips on hers.