Chapter 1

A bright light concealing a glowing translucent figure, it is a woman. Where are we? I can’t turn around to survey the surroundings. Who is she? Why is she surrounded by this abnormal bright light? It’s almost painful to look at. I can barely make out who she is; I can only tell that the figure is female. Wait, she is walking towards me, crossing this strange abyss. I can make out a clearer definition of her figure; long hair, willowy body, I can’t tell if she’s clothed, but it almost seems as if she is being clothed by that strange light. Her lips move. Wait, she’s talking to me, but I can’t hear a word she’s saying nor can I make out the words she is forming. “Hey, who are you? What are you trying to tell me?” The light slowly starts to fade, and along with it, so is she. I’m surprised at myself, I feel sad that she is leaving, almost as if it is a parting of a dear friend. Wait, if the light is leaving, then what will happen to me? Will I be left to stand in a dark abyss? “Wait, don’t go! The light, I nee—”

            I sat up fast, breathing heavily and sweating, freaked out of my mind. I quickly overcome my short minute of terror and mild panic. Man that was one tricked out dream. Who was that? For the past couple nights I’ve had these weird dreams about this woman clothed in light, only to wake up with more and more question. It’s not like I take the dreams seriously, but there’s just an uneasy feeling that always goes along with it and I haven’t been able to shake it off. I rub the sleep from my eyes and all the leftover makeup from yesterday. Well, since I’m already sitting up I might as well get out of bed. With a groan I force myself to take off the covers and make the agonizingly short walk to the bathroom. I wash my face and hands, and decide to just go ahead and take a nice hot shower, hoping that the uneasy feeling will go away. Standing in the shower I start to think, which, is not always the best idea. I am a thinker, and being so makes me pretty empathetic towards different situations. Naturally, I try to think in terms that could logically make sense if I am assuming that she is a real person. So first off, who is she? An angel.  I am also known as a scatterbrain. I have a lot of information in my head, it’s just that sometimes it comes to me right away and sometimes it takes a while and even sometimes it pops up as if it were subconsciously planted. Maybe they were. What if this dream is a sort of sign, a kind of premonition?  If so, then what is it a premonition of?

Getting out of the nice hot shower takes some time, and the agonizingly cold air conditioning makes me shiver. But I get back into my Christmas pants and raggedy t-shirt, glad that my body warmth hasn’t totally left them.  I walk out of the bathroom, totally glad that I have the house to myself this weekend. My mom and brother went up to visit family while I get to stay home, relax, and enjoy a nice quiet Saturday. Well, first on the agenda is hanging out with my boyfriend, Charlie. I call up. One ring, two rings, three rings. It goes straight to voicemail. That’s weird, he doesn’t have morning workouts and we had already planned to hang out today. Well, what can I do? So I get up and shove down my minute disappointment with a soda and a fruit rollup, the perfect breakfast.

            Turning on the TV I am immediately assaulted with media about all the materialistic crap that nobody needs. I mean, if people just learned to accept and love themselves and others, then this world would be so much safer and nicer. Disgusted I turn to the local new channel, prepared to get bored out of my mind. Instead I find something interesting. Three people missing, five people claiming to have seen demons, and a couple people dead of disturbing and possibly cultic means. With a shiver I turn to the next local news channel, getting the very same thing. The same thing is also airing in the other five news channels. Fed up I turn the TV off and head back to my room. Demons are probably my only weakness. I can handle most everything else, but put me in a room with a demon, stuff’s about to go down, and by that I mean me passing out and falling down to the ground. I just don’t want to mess around with that stuff.

            Walking back to my room I feel my phone vibrate, it’s Charlie calling me back. “Hello, sexy man.” Normally he would chuckle and come back with something, but not today. “Hey, Jocelyn; look, do you think I could come over real quick. We need to talk, it’s-it’s kind of important.” Oh crap. My heart starts pounding, already anticipating the heartbreak to come. That is the one line that is like a death sentence in relationships. There is no way that this will be quick and painless. “Yeah, sure. Are you ok?” he sighed, definitely not a good sign in this case. “Yeah, I’m doing alright.” He is so lying. I can tell through the phone that whatever is coming up is going to be big. “Well, ok. Just let me know when you get here.” Click. Not even a goodbye or an ok. I take deep breathes and think, calling myself to that one place where nothing fazes me. I find myself going to a garden. I can clearly see it; lush green grass and so many different kinds of plants. It seems that there is a dozen of every plant known to man. It’s gorgeous, it’s inside with a sunroof letting just the right amount of light inside. In the middle of it is a giant oak tree, the perfect tree for climbing and sitting on its branches to get away from the world. Slowly, slowly my heartbeat goes back to normal. Wow, I wish that garden existed. Its beautiful places like that that makes me want to be a painter. I go ahead and get dressed in my favorite skinny jeans and a comfy yellow v-neck t-shirt. If I’m going to get dumped, I’d rather not have it done when I look like a wreck.

            I hear his truck pull up and after a minute or so I hear the doorbell ring. Already my heart starts pounding and a thin sheen of sweat starts breaking out on my forehead. I open the door and almost pass out from shock. Tall, standing almost seven feet is a black figure with glowing red eyes. Its body was just a horde of bugs of all different type coming together and moving as one unit. I fight back a wave of nausea.  I blink and there is my boyfriend, standing there just as he normally does. What was that? It-it had to be real. I mean, I’m not going crazy. But, if it was real then where did it go? “Jocelyn, are you alright?” His words shake me from my reverie and I step out on the porch and move to give him a hug, but he just cringes away from my hand. Dejected I put them back down and shove them in my pockets. Staring at the ground, I make the first break in the silence. “Well, just go ahead and do what you came here to do.” He sighs. “Look, I like you, but I just didn’t mean for it to get this serious. It was fun while it lasted but it needs to stop. So, please, just back off and leave me alone.” I whip my head up. What? How is this happening? I mean, I anticipated a breakup, but with a so much better reason than this crap. Looking at his expression scares me. His eyes are full of contempt, as if I was just some one night stand that got clingy and annoying. I completely shut down. No anger, no sadness, no feelings. I just accept it as fact that we are over. “Fine, but don’t expect me to come back to you for anything.” He looked smug and pleased, as if this was the reaction he wanted and then he walked away and out of my life.