Chapter -8a 'Babies are a menace.'

" ...Until you have a baby, you don't even realise how much you were missing one." - Jodi Piccoult.
____________________________________________________________________________

I couldn't find Pete anywhere. I walked in and out of the corridor, but he wasn't there. Then I went over to the counter at the very end of the hallway and enquired about him, the lady pointed towards a heavy metallic door.

I ventured further into the gloomy looking hallway. It was all grey -shiny metallic grey. I stopped as I heard his footsteps.

"Gosh! You scared me." My voice ping-ponged the hallway several times.

"I got lost." He gulped, straightening straps of his bag, his face a sweaty mess.

"Told ya...this one's a tech-maze indeed."

We walked out of the Nova-Gen, passing by the giant atomic orb at the lawn. We waited for a couple of minutes in the subway station before we took a train.

What surprised me was how silent and fidgety Pete was for a few minutes in the train.

But more surprising thing was running into Mr. Eddie Kurtz, our science teacher. He stepped into the doorway that was right beside us, straightening his long tanned coat. "Aah...Lee, here we meet again."

"Hey Mr. Kurtz." I pushed a smile on my face, "evening chores?"

"Actually not, I take a walk in the memorial park every evening." His voice strained like an old tree-bark as he sat on a seat in front of us. "...And you must be Lee's boyfriend?"

"Uh...no," Pete frowned, "not at all. We...uh...we go to the Nova-Gen together."

"Oh. So you're ​that second Pristin panther who got the internship. I see," Eddie nodded. "Yet, I haven't seen you in science club. Impressive."

"Mr. Eddie, that's because he never enroll..." Before I completed that, the lady with a chubby baby beside me tapped me on my hand.

"Excuse me miss, if you don't mind can you please hold him for a minute. I can't find his feeding bottle." She requested humbly.

"Uhh..." I hesitantly obliged, the cry baby gasped and shut his mouth once and for all as I held him uncomfortably. The baby went as far ahead as laughing and giggling, eating its fingers. The eww!-est part was when he outstretched his drooly hands and tugged my hair.

"Boo-ba-ma-ma." He giggled shyly withdrawing his hand, and pulling my hair along.

"Uh...ookay, good baby. Goo-ood baby, let go of my hair...aagh!"

The baby giggled again, leaving me with only one thought in my head. 'God, babies are a menace, I'm never going to have one!'

Pete smiled at me, as I handed the baby back to his mom. Thankfully she had found his sipper or whatever.

Right around that time my eyes caught a facade of fiery red against the evening sky, its warmth and light more brighter than the sun behind.

Hell fire!

The train abruptly stopped, followed by a jerk and creak. The skull figure I had seen the other day was floating mid air, behind him was Black ninja.

Even before we realised anything, our train derailed from its tracks and slowly began to turn upside down.

Everyone started panicking, I glanced around to find Pete, but he was gone. "Pete, Pete! Eddie!"

"I'm here." Eddie held my hand from behind and the train took another turn, now the other way. A few more turns and tumbles, the cabin started to creak down from the bridge and fall.