Chapter 30

Christoph wasn't kidding about the circus outside. When we left the funeral home, the media vultures swooped in, cameras and cellphones pointed like I was on the panda cam at the Smithsonian zoo.

"Reese Valentino, I'm sorry for your loss," one woman shouted. "Can you confirm the deceased was your paternal grandfather?" She penciled something in her shiny notebook even before I had a chance to respond.

"I've already given a statement to Mega Manhattan," Vincent growled at them. "Everything else is a rumor."

He hustled me toward a pair of waiting Escalades, but not before someone else called out, "Is it true you're further along in your pregnancy than you originally thought?"

"I've heard talk of a June birth," came another shout. "The Daily Dish is eager for an exclusive. We'll pay top dollar."

"Keep your money, Thomas," Vincent said as he helped me into the backseat. "You know Sam gets all my exclusives."

"Does that include your wife?" Thomas asked as he bullied his way toward the car. He was a pretty big guy, but when Vincent blocked him, there was no doubt who would win in a fight.

"You're not still sore about that bet you lost, are you?" Vincent said. "Why don't you take your assumptions and shove off before I tell everyone here about our wager."

Thomas scowled. "You won't always be cock-of-the-walk, Vincent. And when that happens, I'll make sure the world sees every step of your descent."

"Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night." Vincent stood at the open door, giving Wren and Amelia a chance to climb in next to me. Then Colin and Jonathan flanked Vincent on both sides. If I were Thomas, I would have backed off, but he didn't. Maybe he was trying to make his own news.

Pushy journalist gets pummeled by Valentino brothers for insulting Vincent and his expectant wife.

"You got more to say, Thomas?" Jonathan said, crossing his arms over his suited chest. "I don't think your superiors would appreciate you harassing people as they're leaving a funeral home. Bad for business."

Thomas looked around at the mute crowd. Many were taking notes.

"I think you should get out while you're ahead," Vincent told him. "It's something you should have done before you made that bet."

Colin chuckled. "I made a small sum off that one. And I got a date with your sister. Remember that, Thomas?"

"Shut your fucking hole." Thomas balled his hands into fists, strangling the pen he was holding. What was this guy's problem? Was he going to fight them right here?

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just threaten me," Colin said. "And since you're being a particularly annoying prick today, I'm going to request to your boss that you print an apology to Reese for tormenting her at her friend's funeral. Unless you want to save yourself the humiliation and do that right now."

He gestured toward the open door of the Escalade, and I bit my lip as an unexpected wave of emotion overtook me. Colin was right. This guy was acting like a dick.

After a few tense moments, Thomas appeared in my visual field, his face red and pinched. "I apologize to you and your family, Reese. Please, accept my sympathies for your loss."

"I accept your apology." I ducked further inside the car, using Wren and Amelia as shields.

The younger Valentino boys climbed in, and Vincent shut the door. Then I watched through the window as he and Thomas exchanged a few more words before he took his seat up front next to Rizzo. Bates was behind the wheel of the other Escalade, and when all family members were tucked in, we finally escaped.