Such good luck

The next morning...
Breath stumbled out of her mouth and she clutched the object close.
She didn't really know why she would was standing there, just something had told her to go, that she would regret it if she didn't.

He shocked himself when he realised it really was Mary standing there, not just a figament of his imagination. He had to admit, it was slightly nerve racking to walk up to her, to stare into her pure and deeply coloured eyes, how they ignited a tempting spark in his heart.
"Mary, I wouldn't think you would want to get up early for me.." Matthew said self-diminishingly
"I had something for you.." She said nervously while fumbling in her bag to take out the object.
She passed him a little hand sown toy dog.
"....it's my good luck charm, you need it more than me now, don't say anything philosophical now, I don't know if I can bear it....just....goodbye Matthew, and such good luck!" She said, managing a small smile at the end
"Goodbye Mary, for now..." He said encouragingly
Matthew realised he had to get onto the train and reluctantly slipped his hand away, but she stepped over to kiss his cheek as a final goodbye. Matthew sat down in his seat on the train, ready for a long journey...

Mary watched as the train puffed off into the distance and she couldn't help but collapse into tears.

6 months later....

It was bound to be a busy day, especially for Mary, they had the charity concert later, which took much more preparation than it seemed to and they were waiting for the boys to come back on leave from the war, they could only be home for a couple of days at maximum but it was enough.

The post arrived while they were all at breakfast including a mysterious telegram for her father.
Mary decided to wear her beautiful floral blouse and her favourite long skirt.
It was a sunny day, unusual for late autumn, but Mary didn't really notice.
The work was all done in good time so Mary went up to freshen up before dinner and the concert. Something was definitely off with Mary as she had agreed to sing a duet with EDITH of all people. Mary sometimes felt quite helpless, not being able to help the war effort much because she was a woman, but if holding a classical concert for convalescing soldiers helped, then they did what was necessary, as well as opening downton for these convalescing soldiers to stay in until they feel ready.

For some reason or other Edith seemed out of sorts for one reason or another at dinner, but of course, as it was Edith, Mary passed it off as absolutely nothing and 'Edith was exaggerating as'.
Finally, Edith got up the courage after dinner, before they walked into the drawing room, she dragged her sister to the side
"There is something you need to know"
"Probably not from you" she replied icily
"Just...listen for once"
Mary composed herself, and took the
Telegram from Edith's shaking hands.

"Mary.......Matthew is missing......" Edith continued

Missing, presumed dead were the only words I can think of for the rest of the day.
"We shouldn't worry, they are often just hiding out somewhere and haven't been accounted for" her mother said calmly
She did worry, how could she not?

The concert came and everything went as planned. The men were enjoying themselves and it was raising a lot of money for charity, so what more could they ask for?

Mary and Edith began their duet as planned.
"Sometimes when I feel bad
And things look blue I wish a pal I had Say one like you
Someone within my heart
To build a throne
Someone who'd never part
To call my own If you were the only girl in the world
And I were the only boy
Nothing else would matter in the world today
We could go on loving in the same old way..." Mary trailed off tears pricking her eyes.
Her eyes were wide open and her face frozen with shock.
Everyone looked confused that they had stopped so abruptly, but then they looked over their shoulders...
"Thank god!" Robert exclaimed as he ran over to Matthew, who was standing with William at the door.
Mary stood stunned.
"Well don't stop for me!" Matthew said joyfully
Matthew began continued the song, walking towards Mary and she joined in smiling nervously.
"I would say such wonderful things to you
There would be such wonderful things to do
If you were the only girl in the world
And I were the only boy"
Matthew finishes next to Mary, smiling at her encouragingly.

So proud of this chapter xx