Sapphire Earrings

A month had passed since the trip to the seashore, and Anne was more sure than ever that she wanted to marry Miss Walker. Today, she strode to Halifax center with a purpose. She was going to see a cousin of her aunt and uncle's, Mr. James Hannaford, a man who made his fortune in the jewelry trade. She'd considered having him come to Shibden, but a rift between her uncle and his cousin had led Mr. Hannaford to converse only with Anne, and they agreed to meet in private, away from Shibden.

"Anne, you're looking very well," Mr. Hannaford said, and he leaned in to kiss her on the cheek. They took a seat in the back of the public house, which was relatively quiet this time of day. Nobody with any standing would be seen in here, so it was as private as they might find in town. "I've brought exactly what you've asked for. The finest jewels I could find. Have you thought more about which color you'd like?"

Anne wanted to see all of the options before she chose the perfect earrings for Miss Walker. Something to set off her creamy skin and light brown hair, something to shimmer and bring out the blue in her eyes. "Thank you, James. I'll take a look at the blues and greens."

Mr. Hannaford set out the box of carefully arranged earrings and sat back in his chair to light a cigar. The smoke wafted toward Anne and she inhaled the bittersweet scent of the tobacco. The sun was high and glinted against the jewels through the window. They were each beautiful, and any would complement Miss Walker's complexion. Her eyes kept drifting to a dark blue chain of jewels encased in gold.

"These are stunning, are they sapphires?" Miss Lister asked.

"Ah, the finest sapphires I've ever seen. Whoever the recipient is of these fine jewels will be the luckiest young lady in England."

Anne smiled. "I'll take these, James. Thank you for coming all the way out here for me."

"I love Halifax, even if it doesn't love me in return," he said, chuckling. "How is your aunt, by the way?"

"She's seen better days, but her lady's maid told me she's perked up since my return. I certainly can't take all the credit, but she does seem in good spirits."

"Send her my regards, will you? I've not called on her in years because of that curmudgeon of a brother she has, and it seems to me I should pay her a call soon if she's not well," James said.

"She would love you for it, I'm positive. It was so good to see you, James. Please send my regards to Emily and Jane." With that, Anne kissed him on the cheek and went on her way.

**************************************************************

As soon as Anne walked into Shibden, the butler caught her attention. "Miss Lister, Miss Walker called when you were gone. It seems she's had some rather upsetting news. She requested you call on her at once." He bowed and moved away.

Anne sighed and tucked the small jewelry box in her pocket. It didn't seem like now would be the best time to give Miss Walker the earrings, after upsetting news, but she thought it best not to be unprepared. "Thank you," she said to the man, and turned to leave.

The walk across to Crow Nest was lovely in the evening sun, fields of grasses glowing golden and swaying in the gentle breeze. When she arrived at the door, she was in a much better mood than she'd anticipated.

Gabrielle let her in and rushed her to the sitting room. Miss Walker was pacing the floor and barely noticed the door opening.

"Annie?"

Miss Walker stopped and turned, deep lines of worry etched in her brow. "Thank you for coming so quickly," she said after a moment.

Miss Lister walked toward her and put a hand on her arm. "What's wrong?"