Chapter 19: Archie, the Informant

By now, Kazimir knew the town like the back of his hand. Every area with road construction was ingrained to memory. He even knew how to avoid the main freeway with morning commuters traveling to work or school because there was always some sort of fender-bender.

He'd just finished his community service work for the day. It consisted of cleaning up the fine arts center after they'd had a guest speaker last night. Kazimir never wanted to scrape gum from chairs again or clean up threatening graffiti that some vandals left for their out-of-town guest speaker.

They scheduled him downtown in Viper Valley far too bright and early in the morning. He even showed up ten minutes early so George wouldn't chew his head off again. After he finished, he wished he'd just showed up right on the dot like he usually did. George couldn't even bother to order them a proper lunch after all their hard work. Kazimir ended up stopping at McDonald's for some chicken nuggets to hold him over.

Despite how comfortable Kazimir had become in New Syracuse, he still didn't feel like he was at home. Maybe he would always feel like an outsider.

Kazimir drove up the familiar gravelly entry to the Voiceless Rebels hideout on his motorcycle then parked. He hurried inside as the chilly wind rustled around him and made his way down the narrow hallway through the shop's office. He passed by Emmett's snazzy classic cars, admiring the sharp blue one. He'd love to take it for a spin someday with Emmett, but he knew the gang leader probably didn't let anyone drive his cars. Kazimir was the same way with his own precious motorcycle.

Pumpkin spice drifted in the air from multiple candles Everly had scattered throughout the room. She hung some festive paper bats on the walls too and even carved jack-o-lanterns that were supposed to represent the gang members. She kept them on the kitchen table then set them outside in the backyard at nighttime and lit them up. Apparently, the one with a lopsided grin and paper glasses was Kazimir. He found Emmett's jack-o-lantern frightening with the creepy smile carved on it.

Charlie was sprawled out on the old couch munching on some potato chips. His body took up most of the seat. He wore a baggy red hoodie, paired with some jogging pants. He acknowledged him with a grin and waved. Kazimir reciprocated the gesture.

"Y'all about to go visit Archie?" Charlie asked.

Kazimir took a seat beside him on the edge of the couch. "Yeah, we are. You know much about him?"

"He's a chill dude, I guess. Much more laid back than Adam and Adrian for sure. Emmett's known him for a long time. I think they went to college together before Archie dropped out," Charlie replied.

While they chatted, Emmett walked into the room. Kazimir never knew Detective Lindel had other brothers, let alone be a triplet. He found it interesting how two of the three brothers joined law enforcement.

"I have to make a quick phone call before we leave," Emmett told him. "It shouldn't take long. I just need to inform another buyer that her scheduled appointment can be moved up. I'm going to let Charlie and Alfie handle her since I'm going to be out with you."

Kazimir nodded. "Alright. I understand."

Everly stepped out of the kitchen, sipping on a soda pop. Her long blonde hair was pulled back in a ponytail. "Y'all are gonna visit Archie, right? I haven't heard from him in a while."

Emmett emerged from the stairwell."Its been ages since our last get-together. Thought we'd do some catching up."

"I'm coming with you," Everly told him. "We can even take my car."

"Why? You haven't shown much interest in Hank's murder case or Snake Charmer," Emmett pointed out.

Everly shrugged. "I'm becoming more curious about it."