My rights

Hey everyone, this little chapter is going to be longer than most, and it will be directly focused on Sam, only to show the readers how far sam goes to keep his daughter protected, and to show the difficulties he has in the process

Sam had been seated at the Local Police station on the res and was patiently waiting to talk to someone.
The locals knew about him, and how he "helped the youth get on track" but only one person, who had the shapeshifter gene himself really new Sam, and knew he wouldn't be here if it wasn't something serious .
He was an older man, now of age 54, no longer phasing, and married to his imprint Susan, with two young sons.
"Sam uley. Shocker to see you here, what can I do for you?" Officer Josh Hudson said .
"I need to speak to you about an abuse matter" Sam said, standing up and shaking his old friends hand .

Josh nodded his head and led Sam into his office and had a seat at his desk.
"Alright. So who is being abused, and who is the abuser" josh said while pulling his glasses up to Sam more clearly .
"My daughter, Lilly maze, and her moms new boyfriend. I believe his name is Kyle, but I don't know the last name" Sam said not breaking eye contact .
"So it's true. You do have a daughter, congrats on that.." Josh said with a warm smile, showing his laugh lines.
"Thank you" Sam said, wanting to get to the point fast.

"Is the abuse mental or physical? I'm going to need the dress and the dates of the abuse, if you know that" Josh said while writing the names down on in his notebook.
"The abuse is physical. I can bring her to the office with me and show your the bruises if I need to, it all happened the last two weeks. He grounded her from seeing me and she came over last night around midnight some time, She was crying and shaking, she ran all the way to my house josh. She was scared, beyond scared. I can't let her go back to that house" Sam said, while crossing his arms over his chest .

Josh listened and rubbed his temple with his fingers before sighing . He turned around and typed Lilly's name into the system and pulled up her files, nothing but a birth certificate, social security number and a few addresses came up. He turned back around and held his hands together on his desk and looked at Sam, a hint of guilt on his face.

"Oh boy.. alright this is what I want you to do. I'm going to file a police report on him for child abuse, and assault on a minor, don't speak to him, or even go over there. You need to go to the court house and get your parental rights to her, talk to judge Casey Wright today and explain to her everything between you, Kim and Lilly because when I type her name into the system it shows your not even on the birth certificate, meaning legally you have no rights to her..." josh said with a small frown.

Sam nodded and cracked his knuckles, getting pissed off that even though he was her father he still have no rights to her.
"How long does it take before I get my rights to her?" Sam asked .
Josh thought for a minute before answering as honestly as he could .
"I couldn't tell you that. It will all depends on the severity of the case and the situation itself. I'm going to give her a call and explain what's going and hopefully it won't take that long." Josh said
"Thank you J, I really appreciate it" Sam said while standing up and shaking his hand .

Sam was quick to make his way through traffic and locate the City Hall.
He had to wait over 2 hours before he could speak to the Judge that Josh had directed him to, du to her being in court with a family, so as he made his way to the court room his nerves had gotten the best of him.

"Courts over, you just missed it" Casey said, with a stern voice .
"Officer Josh Hudson sent me here to speak to you directly. My name is Sam Uley and I'm looking to get rights to my daughter as soon as possible." Sam said while taking a seat on the first bench facing her .
Casey looked at the man and snapped her fingers before pulling out some papers that josh had faxed over .

"Ahh Yes. I talked to him just a few minutes ago. You believe you daughter is being abused?" Casey asked, eyeing Sam.
"No mam, I know she is being abused. She is covered in bruises and welts. Before he came into her life she had no abuse what so ever, her mother treated her very well, and raised her well, but as soon as he came into her life I didn't see or speak to her for two weeks and she literally ran 8 miles to my house last night at midnight visibly shaking and crying to the point she could breathe." Sam said, wanting the judge to know how serious this case was.

Casey listens to Sam and wrote a few things down, once he was finished she looked at the birth certificate and noticed he wasn't on it.

"Why isn't your name on the Birth Certificate? Did you deny her when she was younger then all of a sudden want her now?" Casey said with a harsh tone .
Sam but his tongue to control his temper, and knew Judge Casey wouldn't be the one to play games, she was all business .
"No mam. I had no idea my ex was even pregnant. I only found out last month when they moved into town. I don't want to take her from her mom, I just want my daughter safe and out of harms way. I want some rights to her, seeing as she does her schooling her my house and she is biologically mine" Sam said not looking away from her .

Casey nodded her head and went into her back office for 15 minutes before coming back out .
"You have temporary custody. Each weekend she will be granted access to your house, even if the mother wishes for her not to come. That's a start. If the mother wishes to get child support from you she may come and fill out the form but until then you will not have to pay. The police are on there way to check out the home and talk to Lilly and get her story, they will let you know where Lilly needs to stay for time being.
If you wish to get full custody of her you will need to fill out this form and we will set up a court date for you to attend with Lilly and her mother." Casey said while handing him a few forms .

Sam felt his heart skip a beat at getting his rights to his daughter, but new if this continued he would need to get full custody.
"Thank you mam. I will see how things turn out now that I have my rights to her. I appreciate the time" Sam said while shaking her hand, showing his respect and appreciation.

Casey smiled and nodded, deciding then that he seemed to be a dependable man and father .
Sam walked out of the court room with a smile on his face, feeling like he was on top of the world now that no one could keep him from his daughter, little did he know that there would be a long drug out custody battle in the future.