𝗼𝗻𝗲.

broken clocks ⁠— SZA

Most students returned back to school stressed over early wake up times and keeping up their grades. Others spent their time making sure they had everything in order so that they wouldn't deal with stress.

But Rakim Mayers was not like the most.

Unlike most others would be, Rakim radiated confidence that most would lack on their first day back to Elk Grove High. He seemed careless as ever as he sauntered through the hallways, much charisma in his walk, and a magnetic grin that stretched across his features.

Besides, what was the point in worrying about anything at all?

Greeting his friends, he found his locker and threw his books inside carelessly, unaware of some of the girls that stared in admiration as they walked by him. He ran a hand through his dark brown braided hair and slammed his locker shut. At that, Rakim looked around for a familiar face, his deep brown eyes searching for someone he could talk to.

And then he spotted her.

Smiling instantly, he walked up to her and asked "Hey, Rih. How was your vacay?"

Robyn Fenty, who usually went by Rihanna, turned from her locker and grinned. "Rakim! It was good actually," she said. "It didn't really do much, though. Just linked up with a few friends and that's it."

Only half of Rakim paid attention. He was in awe of her beauty, which everyone could see. He stared at her beautiful lips and pearly white teeth as she talked.

Realising she was done talking, he brought himself back to Earth. "Uh, yeah. Same. Sucks now that we're back in school," he said.

Rihanna sighed. "I know. I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't be against another vacation right now," she said. Rakim, who was still internally embarrassed, open his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by the bell ringing.

"I gotta go. It was nice talking to you, Rakim. See ya around?" she asked.

Rakim grinned. "Bet."

Rihanna began walking away to her class. Once she was out of sight, Rakim scolded himself mentally. He probably came off as really boring, bringing up school and all. Someone Rihanna didn't want to talk to.

Deciding to go to class, he grabbed his books and hurried to his seat. He scanned the room for his best friend who he shared the class with. He was usually here early, especially on first day back from Thanksgiving because he didn't enjoy hanging around his family.

As the third bell rang, he pulled his phone out of his pocket and instantly dialled his best friend's number. He waited a moment for him to pick up, patiently. But it only went straight to voicemail, and it was at that Rakim knew something was wrong. Ten minutes into the class, he asked the teacher for permission to leave. As soon as he received it, he sped out the class and went out the exit doors. He didn't bother trying to find him as he knew where he'd be when something was bothering him. He immediately arrived at the small park down the street from the school. And, sure enough, there was an oddly dressed boy with a bright green cap sitting on the swing, staring at the ground.

Tyler Okonma.

"Ay man, what's wrong? You a'ight?" Rakim asked, but it was clear that something was wrong, and the silence that followed after only confirmed it.

Rakim sat on the swing beside him, and it started to sway slowly. "That bad?" he asked, with a serious expression and furrowed eyebrows.

"Uh huh," Tyler muttered, not moving his head.