040 • Dana

Since Wattpad has some problems with notifying readers of story updates; make sure you've read the previous chapter too. (: 

. . .

Three months later

His hands felt cold against her stomach. 

"It's unbelievable that something is growing in there. Something of you and me."

Something of Kip and me, you mean. Dana however kept that thought to herself. Two weeks ago she had discovered that she was pregnant again. Until a few minutes ago, she had only told Kip – she had wanted to share the moment with him; now he was still around. 

Although they had seen it coming, they had both cried when the pregnancy test showed the positive result. During the days after they had still been intimate, sharing their love a little longer, knowing that it would be over the moment that Maddox found out she was pregnant.

She however hadn't dared to wait much longer. Maddox was still blind to her feelings for Kip and she was afraid of what would happen if he found out that she had purposely waited with telling him the truth about the baby so she could spend more time with Kip. 

"Yeah..." Her voice sounded fragile. She didn't want him to touch her, she didn't want him anywhere near the baby.

Maddox pulled back his hand, glancing up to her. "You don't sound very happy, Dana."

She heard the indignation in his voice, although she had gotten used to that. "I'm afraid, Maddox. You murdered my last child in front of my eyes. You can't control yourself when you're angry, and I fear for the fate of this baby."

His face seemed to soften a bit. Lifting his hand, he stroked her cheek. "You don't have to be afraid, my love. This child is mine. I already explained that to you. I already love it." His fingers glided underneath her shirt again, touching her stomach in a tender way. He created the impression that he could already feel a heartbeat, while there wasn't even the smallest hint of a bump. 

"You love me too," she whispered. "But that doesn't keep you from hurting me."

Maddox's face grew dark. Dana knew she was on thin ice now, but if he really believed that they could live like a normal family, they needed transparency.

"You know that's an act of love, Dana." His voice sounded stern, like he was talking to a little child. "You have always been a rebel. All I do, is give you a little bit of guidance."

She tried not to roll her eyes and kept silent, making him think that she agreed with his stupid beliefs. 

"But I also reward good behavior, you know that. I will keep my promise and take your friend to Charming."

"What? Now?!" Baffled, Dana stared at him. For some reason she had believed that Kip would stay with her until the end of her pregnancy. 

"Of course. He fulfilled his duty, didn't he?"

Her breathing sped up. She hadn't seen this coming – the had thought that she would never see Kip again after today. She had been convinced that he would be around to support her in the tough months that were in front of her – and maybe she had never truly believed that Maddox would really set him free. 

Despite the knowledge that his departure would tear her to pieces, she knew it was for the best. He could go back to his old life, to his brothers. Furthermore, they would no longer risk the chance that Maddox would pick up on their feelings – and she also believed it would help Maddox to love the child if the biological father wasn't around.