Internship

Amber's pov:

I still couldn't believe that I got away with such a lie like that and got Damien and Luke out of suspension from the team.

I mean sure, I could have came up with a better idea than shoes...

But hey!!! It's the end result that matters.

Replaying the whole thing in my head, I couln't help but look down at my lap, blushing as I think about Damien's thankful smile.

Don't call me weird, but have you ever looked at someone and thought "Wow, they have a perfect smile?"

Well, Damien has that perfect smile.

"What are you so smiley about?" My dad's voice breaks me out of my thoughts as I look over at him as he focuses his eyes back on the road.

Oh right, after the whole principals office thing, my dad decided to just take me out of school since it was last period anyways and he was already there.

Plus, he would need to pick me up anyways because instead of riding the bus home today, I wanted to help out at the children's hospital for a few hours.

It's actually been awhile since I've had the chance to go there.

School has just been too hectic.

And like they say, junior year is always the hardest.

But I'm actually really excited to be helping out.

Working and helping children makes me happy. And even though I barely get paid anything, money could never compare to the rush of joy I get when the child flashes me a bright smile.

Knowing that I was helping them and being the reason behind their smile... almost reminded me of my mom.

I used to watch her when she worked at the children's hospital.

I was fascinated by all the smiles she brought to their faces as she gave them hope.

"Earth to Amber? Are you okay?" My dad asks again, as I quickly nod my head.

"Sorry just thinking about... the shoes."

AMBER WHY!!!!!!!!!

"Again? Honey it's not like you to get into such disagreements at school. Is there something you would like to talk about?"

"Well-..."

"Wait NO. Uh. Wait. Is it-... that.. that time... DO YOU NEED TAMPONS??!" He raises his voice looking at me, I couldn't help but detect the horror on his face as I quickly react.

"NO! WHAT?! DAD!!!" I cover my face in embarrassment as he lets out a sigh of relief.

"Okay, okay," he says, now in a calm voice, as he looks ahead at the road, "But in all seriousness, honey I worry about you sometimes. If you are going through something I just want to be there for you, you know, because it's just us now. We have to look out for one another."

Although he didn't directly say it, I knew what he was thinking.

When one of us were struggling, Mom was always there to cheer us up. She always knew how to listen to others problems and give the best advice.

But now that she's gone, it's hard. There is no one who could ever replace her love and comfort.

"I know Dad, and I promise to tell you if something is bothering me."

"Okay, just know that even though I am nothing like your mother, I promise I will try-..."

"Dad you are amazing, and mom would be proud of you for being such a wonderful dad." I interrupt his doubtful thoughts.