Chapter 16

I'm frozen in place. Why me? I'm not even a fandom.

     Finnick looks at me with concern and so does Beetee. Somehow I think they knew this was going to happen. The other tributes look as concerned as they are, but Bella and Tris seem more worried. Probably because of the incident from this morning. I hate pity. I can take anger better than I can pity.

     "Come on,Alexandra." Beetee says motioning for me to follow him.

     I slowly come out of my trace and follow behind Beetee, trying to avoid the urge to turn around. I hear Finnick dismiss the others and tell them to head back to their homes as we disappear.

     Beetee leads me through the Justice Building back to the lab where he took our blood samples and tells me to sit. I practically fall backward into the chair, but not much to notice. I place my hands on the arm rests and annalize the black leather that covers it. It does take my attention away from the fact my blood could help save us, but not really. Something that big is not something you can easily forget.

     "I'm not a fandom." I say to Beetee while still looking at the solid black leather. "I'm not suppose to be one."

     "You are suppose to be one,Alex. It just wasn't time for you to be one yet. We suspected you from the start. There was something about you that showed strength, and bravery but you also showed humbleness and selflessness."

     "How have I ever been selfless!?!" I say looking up at him with confusion. If there is one thing I do know is that selflessness has never been a trait of mine. My father had a great deal of it, but that is one thing that was never passed down to me.

     "Some of us were watching the games while Katniss and the others were trying to get things in order. Before you even knew that we were going to rebel against the Capitol." he picks up some papers that layed on one of the tables and sits down in a chair next to me. "We all watched you and Leisel get captured by Tris and Tobias, and your reaction to it. Do you remember what you said?"

     I shake my head slowly while trying to remember but nothing comes to mind. All I remember is that I panicked a little and said some words that I may have never meant.

     "You said for them not to heart her."

    "What does that have to do with being selfless?" I say a little too harshly.

     "That is a sign of selflessness otherwise you would have asked them not to hurt the both of you. That's when we knew that you could be a fandom, but when you really showed it was when you pushed through your......panic attack in the arena when the lights went out."

     "How did you.." I say unable to finish my sentence.

     "Katniss told me when all of you arrived in District 12."

     I shake my head at the realization that they new all this time since I set foot on that hovercraft that I was a true fandom. I can't believe this. I hate the fact they even saw me that way in the first place.

     "You're the key, Alexandra. You can save us all." Beetee says.

     I look up at him and see how much he means it, but I don't want to be the key. I don't want everyone to look up to me like this. I'm just a girl from the new District 12 that lost her father when she was 10 and had lost her memory at the age of 13. I'm not suppose to be this person who everyone is suppose to look up to even those that should be high above me. I can't do this!

     "I can't do this!" I shout at Beetee before getting up and walking off, but before I reach the door he grabs my arm and jerks me around. I stare at him horrified and he says, "You can Alexandra." I stare at him for a moment and think about all the positive things that can come out of this if I at least try. If I try to be this person that everyone thinks I'm suppose to be yet I know I'm not. This is my hope. This is our hope. This is Panem's hope. I now know what to do even though I regret the words that come out of my mouth when I say them.

     "Ok."