Powerless

Really?

...

You sure?

...

Okay.

...

I love you...

...

* * *

He can't stop.

He can't.

Not the tears running down his face.

Not the pain that was tearing at his heart.

Not Retak'ka.

Not anything.

* * *

The botanist was unusually silent, and so were his troublemaker companions. Everyone had secluded themselves from everyone else, and no one dared to pick up the remnants.

Not even Gempa.

Not even Blaze.

Not even Taufan.

They were too scared and damaged.

Thorn tried to stop his cries. It wouldn't help the situation, but he couldn't help himself. He clawed at his shirt, he tore his own hair and raged, causing ivy to sprout from Ais's cereal and Blaze's ears, but it just wouldn't stop.

He could hear Gempa screaming in self-blame and anger. He could tell that Blaze and Taufan were despondent. He could see that Halilintar lacing his hands, sitting on the porch in lethal silence. He could sense that Ais was trying to sleep it off.

Everyone was hurting.

But why weren't they doing anything?

Solar—!

Thorn, stay back—

...

...

...

It's over.

Was he the only one that's trying to bring Solar back? This was one battle that they'd lost brutally. Even the one with Bora-ra seemed tame with the sudden escalation of events, where everyone had came out unscathed.

But now?

Reality had slapped them in the face. Solar was never coming back. He was gone permanently, whether they liked it or not. No amount of silly wishing was going to resurrect him. Nothing.

Nothing.

He tried to tell himself that Solar would return. Solar would walk through that door carrying some present that he bought for Thorn—usually some new plant that they would babble about for hours—and everything would return to normal.

Gem would be able to figure it out, right?

Right?

Gem was the most powerful among them, next to Solar. He could fix this. He was smart. He was reliable.

He could bring Solar back, right...?

Right?

What would you do for love?

Would you give everything?

Would you do anything?

Anything?

Even yourself?