ONE

Burning, my lungs and my legs were burning as I ran it was all I could feel

Burning, my lungs and my legs were burning as I ran it was all I could feel. The burning was consuming me clouding my thoughts but I had to push through it or I wouldn't survive, no one would.

The group of boys followed me and Max as we led them in the direction of our freedom. Quickly skidding to a stop I quickly hid behind the wall, "Rose what's wrong?" James the youngest of the group asked me, "It's a stinger." I announce hearing the sharp intakes of breath as a reply. Noticing the distress on James face I grabbed his hand in a comforting manner, for the month that I was here James was my favourite he was like a little brother that I felt the need to protect, he couldn't have been anymore than 12 or 13 which is what really angered me he was too young for this.

"It's gonna be ok, James stick with Ada and Pie ok?" I told him as I handed him the Stinger heart, that was literally our ticket out of here but I trusted James with my life. "guard this with your life." I instructed softly receiving a grace nod in return. H clutched it tightly dropping my hand after giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Ok so we're gonna all have to stick together and fight this stinger, if anyone wants to go back to the meadow and back to Leo now would be the time to go." I paused for a moment glad when no one made a move to leave.

"We're with you." Bert spoke from beside me, Bert was the leader, all of the boys and my sister nodded. "Ok then on my count we're gonna attack." I nodded and with a deep breath  we charged.

The fight against the Stinger was tough especially when many more began to crowd us. We successfully killed the the Stinger but we were becoming over powered I'd seen three people snatched up already. Suddenly a Stinger reached out for me but Bert knocked me out of the way, I gripped onto his arms desperately trying to pull him out of the Stingers grasp. He looked me in the eyes and shook his head, "It's ok. Look after them Rose, get them out." I nodded weakly tears pooling at my eyes as he slowly let go of me and let the Stinger take him.

James and Ada had got behind us and opened the passageway. "Rose there's a code." James shouted out to me panic laced in his voice, my eyebrows furrowed, I had no clue what the code was or what it could've been, don't say all this was for nothing. "Eight digits." Ada yelled out. I looked over at Max in realisation, he told me that there were eight sections of the maze. "Max what's the maze sequence?" I asked he opened his mouth to reply but a Stinger grabbed him as he was caught off guard.

My eyes widened and Enrico and I began attacking the Stinger tail until it dropped off letting Max go. I couldn't loose anyone else. We pulled him up and behind us as he recovered.
He quickly shouted the code and as the panel turned green we slowly retreated watching the slabs from the ceiling fall smushing the stingers and then it all went black and all I could hear were screams around me as we dropped. 

When the light finally returned I saw that we were in a tunnel of sorts.

In our small little pack of fifteen we made our way forward stopping once we reached a door that had a green exit sign glowing above it, "seriously?" Alfie and Enrico asked as we glanced at the anticlimactic sign. I gave them a shrug and carefully pushed the door open.