Handcuffed Together {1}

I dropped my bag on the sidewalk, watching cars go by. The big yellow bus stood ahead of me, but for some reason, I was really apprehensive about whether I wanted to do this or not. The judge ruled that I be taken to the Guidance for Troubled Teens correction course, but maybe jail would be easier after all.

Supposedly I was to go to this place, talk to some counselors, blah, blah, blah. But I didn't want to talk about how I felt about things- I was sixteen, not five- and I surely didn't want to have to do different 'exercises' with 'teens just like me!' I was looking forward to this less and less each second.

"Let's go," a lighthearted, but deep, voice spoke behind me. I recognized it as Harley's voice before I ever turned around.

I stared at him, straight into his dull green eyes. "Maybe I should just go to jail..."

"I know you better than anyone else and I know that that's not what you want to do. Now, move your tush along or I'll have to carry you."

I snorted, but grabbed my duffle bag anyways. Harley was actually right about knowing me better than anyone else; he understood that I was stubborn, free-spirited, and completely capable of anything. He was the one person who treated me - sort of - like the adult I was, and even though getting to know him through being in trouble, I'm glad I did. And I saw him so often lately that whenever I got caught in trouble, he'd be the first one notified.

I couldn't help but think about the fact that I just might miss him. He wasn't THAT bad after all, and sometimes, he even helped me get out of trouble. He was like an older brother, even if he was strict. Too bad he couldn't get me out of this one...

I turned to glance at him one last time and he shot me a small smile with a shrug. Then we clasped hands and I got on the bus; that was how we said goodbye. I had said my farewells to my mother earlier and although she had basically refused to talk to me for that past two weeks, she had given me a hug with tearful eyes. I had just kissed her on the cheek before grabbing the only things I owned and heading off toward the police department.

Harley brought me here, but now the bus was starting and I realized I was one of three people on the bus. The others looked considerably than me, so I quickly grabbed a seat to myself and looked out the window. I had a pair of cuffs around my wrists- they were far passed the point of uncomfortable- so I was limited to my activity.

{***}

It took about three hours to arrive to the brick building. It was actually a little bit more inviting than you'd think, but it still wasn't fancy. The grass needed tending to and the front fountain was dirtier than a puddle of mud. The gray sky above only made it look even drabber, but what should anyone expect when coming here? It was- after all- a facility in where 'troubled teens' came to face their problems. Ugh.

I followed behind a police woman, no one saying a thing. Her shoes drummed on the ground and mine fell in pace with hers, my eyes roaming my surroundings. The inside of the building was actually nice- there were cream colored walls, the floor was a beautiful marble tile, and there was even a lobby that had brown and red velvet furniture.

A large white desk stood a couple of yards from the entrance. A type of...gate...stood beside it so no one could get in or out without authorization. Even better.

A stout old woman looked up when we approached. She had feathered gray hair, wrinkles covering her face, and gentle brown eyes. She smiled warmly at me. "How can I help you, misses?"

"Oh," I wanted to reply, "I'm here because I'm vacation." But biting my tongue, I settled with: "I'm Libby Kyller." I didn't look her in the eyes, but when I finally did, she gave me one of those pity-smiles I absolutely hated.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you," she continued. Then she handed me a folder full of what I guessed was papers and opened the gate. "Come on in."

The police officer almost came with me - most likely for protection for the old woman - but the desk lady waved her off. "I've got it from here. Thank you."

The emotionless police officer left with a nod and then it was just the old woman and me. I wasn't going to try anything, and once she realized that, she started walking.

"You'll find your schedule in that folder and you are expected to attend to all of them. You'll be staying with two roommates in a dorm, but if we ever catch you disturbing other dorms or each other, you are all out. Do I make myself clear?"

She was firm, but she still held that hint of weakness.  I nodded my head, though, and she kept on leading me through the vacant halls. "Lunch is promptly at one o'clock and you'll be assigned a certain chore at night. You will not be taking your regular course classes, but you are expected to participate frequently. You are not required to be in your classes today, but by tomorrow you will. If you chose to skip, you'll have a word with the general."

I figured she was done with her speech as she stopped in front of a door. With a swift movement of her hand, she opened the door wide open and stepped inside. I followed behind.

What I thought would be one big room was actually a tiny hall with four doors. At the end of the hall, it opened up and I could tell that that was the kitchen. Three of the white doors had numbers on it, but the door closest to the kitchen didn't. Peering quickly inside, I realized that it was the bathroom.

"This will be your room," the gray haired female smiled. The door was marked with a three, directly adjacent to the bathroom. I twisted the gold knob, stepped in, and threw my duffle bag onto the floor.

The room only consisted of about six things: a large wooden dresser, a desk, a tall standing lamp, a ceiling fan, a closet, and a twin-sized bed. Everything was white except for the wood furniture and the covers to the bed were missing. The floor was made of wood and so I kicked the bag, turning to the desk lady in the process.

"Where are the sheets?" I asked.

Her light-hearted expression didn't change. "You'll be sent some from the laundry mat later on today, but I assure you that you'll have them by the time you go to bed. Lights are out by ten, and everyone must be up by seven. Breakfast and supper are both at seven-thirty, but of course breakfast is in the morning and supper at night. Do you have any further questions?"

She basically answered it all and I figured I could ask around if I came up with any new ones. I did have ONE though... "What is your name?"

"Mrs. Witherham," she smiled. Then she tuned and left.

~* I know there isn't a whole lot of action right now, but bear with me! it'll get better- I just have to fill in the details for now. Thanks for reading and tell me what you think! *~