38

38
<--->

hyunjin could hear his heart beat extremely fast in his ears when he saw maci. there was a slightly uncomfortable silence that lingered in the air dust, creating an awkward situation in which he didn't want to be stuck in. his breath got caught in his throat, and the only thought he could only think of was that he didn't tell areum about what happened at maci's birthday party.

he was a coward, and he knows.

he went as far as begging felix and sowon from telling areum about it. he was too ashamed of himself, and he had no courage to face areum's disappointment.

maci still looked gorgeous as before as her brown hair swings swiftly with each graceful steps she takes, making some boys in the library turn their heads her way. the three didn't know why maci was in the library, but areum assumed she wanted to see hyunjin.

but it was completely the opposite.

hyunjin had been avoiding maci as much as possible. it wasn't that he got over her already, but it was because his emotions would get the best of him. maci made his heart ache painfully, and he would always be reminded of the night at her party, which he terribly hated the most.

maci walked with her head, and her brown eyes sparkled in delight when she caught boys staring at her. she loved the attention, much more than anything in the world.

areum scoffed at her, shaking her head as she tried to wipe herself dry with the sleeves of the oversized sweatshirt she wore that she borrowed from hyunjin. she was pissed that water was on her notes, forgetting that there were also specks of water lingering on the side of her face. she occupied herself by muttering words under her breath, discouraged.

"hyunjin," areum murmured, turning her head at his direction while he focused his gaze on his fingers. his shoulders hunched over, nervous. "i can't write on my notes anymore, so can i borrow another piece of paper?"

hyunjin gulped, still looking down, "i'm sorry for ruining your notes. here. you can copy from mine." he handed her a piece of blank paper, which she gladly took.

sowon watched in distaste as maci made her way in their direction. shifting in her spot, she grew tense as she didn't want to face the annoying girl now. not after what happened a few days ago at maci's party.

"sowon, hi!" maci uttered, waving her hand wildly in the air as she grinned. sowon grimaced, but she ignored the girl and went back to studying. maci frowned a little. "what? can't say hi to me?"

sowon rolled her eyes. "i wouldn't waste my breath on you." she made sure to say it low so maci wouldn't hear. maci shrugged, unbothered. her eyes traveled over to where hyunjin was sitting at, and her eyes softened. she knew what she did was wrong, but she couldn't bring herself to apologize for her obnoxious behavior.

hyunjin was stiff when he felt a pair of eyes glaring right at him. he didn't look up as he knew exactly who those eyes belonged to. he hoped she would pass by and say nothing as he overheard the short conversation between the two girls.

areum looked away from her notes after writing a few of what hyunjin had written down on her completely new sheet of paper she got from him. she didn't look too happy seeing maci.

"what do you want?" areum snapped, feeling herself grow angry at the brown-haired girl. maci simply smiled in return, but it was obvious that it was a fake one that could fool others but not those three.