Ch.20: Monere Horde pt.2

In the middle of the city, Monere descends from above crashing into the city and attacking anything in sight. The civilians sit around inside of the buildings and shelters moving away from the entryways as the monsters try to force their way inside. As one reaches their claw into the door a large man comes in slashing off the arm and staring down the beast as he readies for battle. The warriors at the gates rush inside of the town and continue the battle beating back the Monere and forcing them away from any civilians.

"Lyn put me down!" Rayne yells out as she struggles in Lyn's arms. "Lyn!"

"Sorry, sorry," Lyn says as she lowers to the ground. "Alright, so what do we do now?"

"You tell me, do you want to chase after Avalon, or do you want to defend the city?" Rayne asks seriously.

"I want to save the city, even if I find Avalon having the city wrecked wouldn't be a good thing," Lyn says seriously.

Rayne smiles. "Well, I wouldn't word it like that, but yes. So, we fight?"

"We fight," Lyn says as she reaches behind her back. "Well, I'd like to say we, but I don't have a sword right now."

"How useless can you be?" Rayne asks as she steps forward. "Fine then, I'll cast twice as many spells to make up for your slack."

"Thank you," Lyn says nervously.

Rayne holds out her staff and chants as a large ball of fire forms over her head. With a flick of her wrist, the fireball separates into smaller fireballs and fly throughout the city. Each of the balls smashes into several Monere and burn them to ash as Rayne stands with a wide grin on her face.

"I am Rayne Lanier, Dark Elf Witch who'll now be taking your filthy lives!" Rayne says with a large grin on her face.

"You always get like this when you fight weaker foes, but isn't your official Class Mage?" Lyn asks curiously.

Rayne looks back pouting. "Don't ruin the moment."

"Fine, fine."

As the two stands around a large monster charges towards them slashing as Lyn scoops up Rayne and moves into the air. The beast grabs her leg and slams her into the ground as she tosses Rayne into the air. As she falls Rayne pulls a green crystal out of her pack and flicks it ahead sending a shot of wind out to slice off the beast's neck.

She falls to the ground and lands on her butt as she looks towards Lyn and rushes to her side. She helps her out and the two dust themselves off with Lyn shaking off her injuries with the help of Rayne's healing spells.

"Be more careful," Rayne says seriously.

"Sorry," Lyn says nervously as she looks ahead. "Don't relax just yet."

Another even larger Monere charges towards them opening its arms to slice them with its overly large sickles. As it comes closer a sword flies across Lyn's path hitting the side of the building.

"Lyndis! Use this!" Captain Ronah yells out amidst the chaos.

With a smile on her face, she snatches up the sword and leaps into the air moving past the bug's scythes and slicing off its head. Lyn lands on the ground happy to be in the fight as the monster's sickle comes down towards her only for its body to ignite into a blaze of fire.

"Didn't anyone tell you to make sure it's dead, that sometimes a Monere can survive without their heads?"

"Sorry," Lyn says nervously. "But something seems odd."

"What?"

Lyn looks into the sky as more Monere charge in with arrows and magic spells going off across the city. "This!"

"You mean the monster invasion?"

"Yes, this many Monere coming to the city at once isn't it just odd?"

Rayne turns around and mumbles to herself. "She's right, even with that happening it's too soon the others haven't been drawn yet either."

"Um, Rayne?"

"You're right, this situation is most certainly odd. So, what does this mean?"

Lyn looks around. "Do you think this has something to do with Avalon?"

"Huh?"

"I can't explain it, but I feel as though Avalon is calling out to me and that calling might be also calling these Monere," Lyn says seriously.

Rayne looks up frustrated and smacks Lyn with her blade. "What the hell? Why didn't you say anything earlier?"

"Well you don't believe me when I say Avalon can talk, so why would I believe you'd believe me when I said I feel it calling me," Lyn says nervously.

"I guess it's my fault, but listen here talking swords and having a magic sword calling you are two different matters!" Rayne yells out. "Now follow that calling."

"Huh?"

"You can hear it, then let's chase after it and end this mess before someone gets hurt."

Lyn nods and snatches up Rayne as she leaps into the sky looking around the area to find any sign of Avalon's light. Seeing something race across the town's rooftops Lyn rushes ahead towards it as she sees a faint light repeatedly blinking.

"You see something?" Rayne asks concerned.

"Yes, do you see someone?" Lyn asks as she stares ahead.

Lyn approaches the figure as Rayne pulls out a light blue crystal and flicks it forward. As it smashes against the rooftop a wall of ice forms blocking the figure as the pair lands.

"Alright give it up, we've gone through a lot of trouble because of you," Rayne says seriously.

"Shouldn't I be the one saying that?" Lyn asks curiously.

"Don't ruin the moment, besides the frustration, I feel for this person won't let me relax until I burn them just a little."

"Sometimes you scare me," Lyn says seriously.

The figure stares at them completely wrapped up in their black garb, with Avalon on their back, pulls a knife out from their side. The thief rushes ahead as Lyn charges in blocking their attack as they pull out another knife as Lyn leaps back avoiding their attack.

"You're stupidly good you know that Lyndis." The figure says seriously.

Rayne smirks. "I was right, this was someone from the City Guard."

The thief unwraps the wrappings around their face. "Of course, but I only worked for the City Guard because they paid me. But I have to tell you one thing Lyndis."

"What?" Lyn looks ahead and lowers her head as she clenches her fist. "Go ahead and tell me, Tyra Quinn!"

Tyra stands there with a grin on her face as he pulls off the last of the wrappings and lowers her hood. "Figured it out?"

"You're the only person I know with that kind skill with knives," Lyn says nervously.

"Well let me tell you one thing." Tyra smiles gently and puts her hand to her chest. "You weren't the one who found Avalon, I was, and it's my sword!"

"What!?" Lyn and Rayne yell out.

"That's not true, we found Avalon in the cave," Lyn says nervously.

Tyra smiles. "Don't you remember, I was there with the two of you. We went on that Adventure together, just like the other ones."

Lyn thinks on the subject and suddenly remembers Tyra journeying with the pair as Rayne looks on in disgust. "She's doing something, I think it's her Prou," Rayne says holding her head.

"Her Prou?" Lyn asks.

"Trust me, I'm not lying," Tyra says happily.