Training

"So..."

Levi glanced up at Lex as he kept pace with him.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll find out when we get there," Lex answered dismissively.

"Awww come on Lex, don't do that," Levi pouted.

Lex didn't answer, and just kept walking.

"Lex? Pleeeeease?"

Lex still didn't answer, and Levi let out a huff of frustration.

"You're going to be that person, are you?" he muttered, "fine, be that way."

He crossed his arms, sulking, and tiniest ghost of a smirk pulled at Lex's lips.

Then his expression returned to its former serious state, and he stopped walking.

"Is this it? Are we there?" Levi asked curiously, squinting at the building in front of which Lex had stopped.

"This... isn't a bank," he noted.

"No kidding Sherlock," Lex retorted sarcastically, walking towards the entrance with the sports bag slung over his shoulder.

Levi overcame his surprise quickly, jogging to keep up with Lex.

"This... this is a football stadium," he stated.

Lex raised both eyebrows.

"Really? I thought it was a jewelry shop," he answered sarcastically.

"But..." Levi frowned, trying to follow Lex's logic.

"You'll see, kiddo," Lex smirked, pushing open the doors and walking into the stadium.

Lex heard a sharp intake of breath behind him as they walked into the stadium, which was big enough to be used in one of those if-earth-was-the-size-of-a-golf-ball comparisons as one-threethousandth of Betelgeuse.

"This place is massive!" Levi breathed, glancing back over his shoulder several times as he tried to compare the interior the exterior, "it's even bigger than it looked from the outside!"

"Yeah, I know," Lex replied, "it's one of the only impressive things about Highcrest. This town is pretty much invisible to the world for the rest."

Levi didn't answer -- he was slowly spinning in circles as they walked onto the field, trying to see all sides at the same time. The football field itself was lit up, but the rows upon rows of seats surrounding it were encased in thick darkness.

"Hey, Joey!" Lex greeted the solitary figure on the field.

Levi's attention turned Joey, who was bouncing a ball on his knee. He was dressed in all-black sports clothes, right down to black football shoes.

Levi's gaze flickered between Lex and Joey curiously, and Lex introduced them.

"Joey, this is Levi Richards, the kid I told you about. Levi, this is Jordan Rivers, he's a friend from work."

Levi gave Lex a confused look.

"From... work," he repeated cautiously.

Lex nodded, and Levi's frown deepened.

"And he's here because...?"

"Oh right," Lex chuckled, "I haven't told you yet. He's going to train you."

Lex opened the sports bag, taking out his copy of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and tossing the bag with the rest of its contents to Levi.

"There's a dressing room here somewhere, get changed. If you need me, I'll be in the stands, reading."

Levi was frozen in surprise for a moment, and then he dashed off at the speed of light.

"The dressing room is the other way!" Joey shouted after him, and Levi zoomed past them again in the opposite direction, heading straight towards the dressing room.

Joey laughed softly.

"Well, he sure is excited."

"I guess he's just glad to be out of the house," Lex shrugged, "thanks for coming, by the way."

Joey made a dismissive gesture with his hand.

"It's nothing, I was going to be here all evening anyway. I should be thanking you for bringing me a trainee."

Lex copied Joey's dismissive gesture with a grin.

"It's nothing," he smirked, "he was getting on my nerves anyway, good luck handling him."

With that Lex walked towards the rows of spectator's seats surrounding the stadium, paging through the book in an attempt to find his bookmark.

Moments later, Levi re-emerged from the dressing room dressed in black football gear similar to Jordan's, and moving slightly slower this time. A look of concentration was etched onto his face as he walked towards Jordan somewhat hesitantly.

"What's bothering you?" Jordan asked with an amused undertone in his voice.

"Well... Mr Rivers..." Levi began carefully, "Lex said that he knew you from work, right?"

Jordan nodded.

"This is going to sound like a stupid question, but... what work?"

"The British Reporters Sunday Standard," Jordan answered.

He saw Levi's still-confused expression, and added, "the newspaper."

"Ohhhhh..." Levi nodded to himself, "so then... you're training me in what exactly?"

Jordan chuckled.

"Lex really didn't tell you anything, did he?"

Levi shook his head.

"Not a thing," he answered, "he's mysteriously stubborn. Or stubbornly mysterious. Or both."

Jordan laughed.

"Well, let me do the honour of explaining to you. I'm Jordan Rivers, which you knew, but you can just call me Jordan. Mr Rivers makes me feel old. Anyway, I play football for FC Highcrest, and Lex asked me if I could coach you. Something about football tryouts in less than two weeks?"

"I never told him about that," Levi frowned, puzzled, "how'd he know?"

Jordan shrugged.

"He didn't tell me that much, kid. So, are you up for it?"

"Of course I am!" Levi exclaimed, "if I get good enough, maybe I can make the school team!"

"Highcrest High, I'm guessing?" Jordan enquired, "they have a good team, I've seen them in action before."

"Do you think I can make it?" Levi asked hopefully.

"Well that's kind of hard to tell if I've never so much as seen you touch a ball, isn't it?" Jordan grinned, picking up a ball and throwing it to Levi, who caught it with both hands.

"Not bad hand-eye coordination," Jordan muttered, "you're off to a good start, kid, let's see what else you can do."

Levi's eyes shone with concentration and excitement as put the ball down, kicking it back to Jordan.

A small smile spread over Lex's face as he watched the scenario unfolding down below. He lost interest in Eustace's existential crisis for a moment as he watched the pure joy with which Levi dribbled around Joey, and congratulated himself on his brilliant plan.

Levi glanced into his direction once, smiling broadly, and Lex was thankful for the deep darkness that hid his expression from sight, so that Levi probably thought he was still reading.

It wouldn't do Lex's reputation as mysterious stubborn ex-criminal any good if Levi saw him grinning back, would it now?