Something To Treasure

Prem's POV

"Prem? N'Wad?" Mom calls through the door, "Come eat." I hear a thud behind me and look to see Wad has fallen off the bed. Again.

"You ok," I ask as I walk around the bed to help him. Wad looks up at me, and I frown. "You didn't rest, did you?" Wad slaps away my hand and stands up on his own.

"Of course, I did, P...," Wad begins but is cut off when he yawns.

"Liar," I huff, "Why not?" Wad scratches the back of his neck and shrugs, but before he can answer, the door swings open, revealing my mom.

"What is with you two?" Mom frowns, "It is getting cold."

"Come on. Let's go before she comes back," Wad nods and follows me out the door to the dining room. I gape when I see the table. How much did my mom cook?

"Are we having guests?" I question, pulling out the chair to sit down. Wad pulls out the chair next to me and sits.

"No," Mom smiles, "I don't get to cook for you often, so I guess I got a little carried away. I didn't know what you liked, N'Wad. I hope there is something here you like."

Wad looks at the table and smiles, "I am sure I can find something, Khun..."

"Call me, Mom," she cuts him off before he could finish.

"O-o-ok," Wad stutters as he looks at me. I shrug as I am filling my plate.

I hum when I take a bite of my mom's Chicken Khao Soi. Geez, I miss my mom's cooking. I grin when I see Wad nodding his head after he had tried my mom's Green Papaya Salad. I was curious about how it compared to his mom's. She is a fantastic cook, too.

"N'Wad, you are Prem's nong?" Dad asks. Wad puts his utensils down before he answers.

"Yes, sir," Wad replies politely. "He was one of my hazers." My dad motions him to continue eating.

"What was he like during hazing?" Mom questions.

Wad swallows before he answers, "He was a total jerk to..." Wad panics, "I mean, he was very strict with us." I notice my dad has a small smile.

"I am sure my son was a jerk," my dad laughs, "He has grown a temper since going to university."

"Dad!" I groan, "How can you say that in front of him?"

"Not like it is a lie," Mom snarks. Why are they ganging up on me in front of my boyfriend?

"That's true," Wad hums as he takes a bite and then chokes on it when he realizes what he had said. I pat his back and hand him a glass of water, glaring at my parents. That is it. I don't care what they say. I am tired of this weirdness.

"Mom. Dad. I am dating N'Wad," I state firmly and realize I probably should have checked to see if Wad was taking a sip of water before I blurted that out since he is now choking all over again. When he calms down, I look at my parents, who have said nothing since I told them I was dating Wad.

"Are you ok, N'Wad?" Mom asks, concerned.

"I-I-I am fine," Wad stammers, looking from my parents to me and back again.

"Mom. Dad. I. AM. DATING. N'WAD," I restate slowly for them.

"WE. KNOW," my mom and dad answer just as slowly. What fvck? How?

"How?" Wad breathes out.

"His father came to our house," my dad explains. "With some other boy. The boy was just creepy, wasn't he, dear." My mom nods at my dad.