chapter 3- a little hungry

The avengers began to chat and laugh with each other idly letting the cat sit under the table until she felt comfortable to come out, and after a while, everyone split off and left for their own desired spaces. Now was the time to explore.

I peeked out and checked no one was in sight, when the coast was clear I sped over to the bar which had some fancy cupboards just above the marble top, glancing around once more I leaped up, caught my teeth on the metal handle and the door swung open with my weight as I dangled in the air.

I was about to swiftly land when a loud voice echoed through the room like a monotone woman's voice "What are you doing?"

Startled I let go of the handle too fast and fell awkwardly onto the counter letting out a yowl as my small ankle rolled and an unsatisfying click sounded. My ears perked when the elevator doors reopened and thundering quick steps made their way in.

Looking over Thor stood and looked around before his wide eyes locked onto me. Uh oh.

He began to walk over fairly quickly and I leaped off of the counter and let out a loud cry that sounded strangled as I landed on my bad back paw that burned with pain at the height I jumped from.

I scuffled back but it wasn't quick enough as Thor's massive hands easily scooped me up. Oddly fairly gentle with me even though the pain in my joint began to burn up my leg. "You are an injured small creature, let me help you" his voice practically blew my fur. It was so loud.

My ears pinned against my fur as I shook in his arms. Please please please don't drop me, fearing that it would only make me wound flare in more pain if he did. "Thor? what's going on?" Steve's voice brought me back to the present and Thor turned with me in his arms,

"I fear it has injured itself" Thor uneasily and Steve quickly approached gathering me into his arms which I was glad for. Thor may not have bad intentions but he terrified me with our size difference and loud voice and massive muscles, I fear that if he stepped on me by accident I'd turn to dust.

Steve patted my fur before looking at my leg that I refused to curl back up properly from the pain, prodding it I let out a yowl and flinched my claws digging into his arm as he grunted from me doing so. 

I tried to lessen my grip out of guilt,

"Okay, I think its her paw that needs to be checked out-" he looked to the open cupboard "-she must have fallen oddly on it"

Thor nodded "shall we take her to Banner?"

"yes he should know how to help"

and with that, we were back in the elevator while I embarrassedly tried to cover up my pain writhing in Steve's arms. When Thor reached out to pat me I leaned away and Steve threw him a sympathetic look "she'll get used to you, it just takes time"

Thor begrudgingly nodded and soon enough another ding followed and we stepped into a small lab set up, there were many trays with bits and bobs and in front of us a man sat hunched over a desk with curly brown hair working on something,

"Bruce?" Steve called and the man jolted around , then smiled adjusting the glasses on the bridge of his nose, his eyes flickered to me and he frowned "when did we get a cat?"

"Starks idea" Steve shrugged and walked me over to the man, nice to meet you Mr. Hulk, he gave my head a small rub before he frowned at my out splayed leg.

"I'm assuming you wanted me to help out with that leg?" he looked to my carrier who nodded "I figured she fell on it awkwardly in the penthouse, Thor found her on the floor" Bruce nodded in thought and took me from Steve's arms carefully and placed me on the nearest metal table clearing it of its contents.

He bent my leg to test it and I hissed at the action, he frowned and his fingers carefully felt over the joint as I let out a series of howls and tried to scratch him on instinct to get it to stop,

He turned to Steve "she'll need a splint, from what I can gather she fractured a joint it should take at least 2 months to fully recover since it luckily wasn't a break, how high was that fall?"

Thor spoke this time "not very far, It is my guess that she was in the cupboard before she must have jumped from it onto the floor" At this Bruce narrowed his eyes in confusion "that's very odd, she should not have been injured so easily, cats are very resilient and land on their feet from such small heights"

Steve nodded and glanced at me and even though he couldn't see who I really was I looked away.

Okay so maybe I wasn't a perfect cat.

But a month to heal?! you've got to be kidding me!

In the next 20 minutes Bruce bandaged my leg and put some type of squishy foam to limit the movements and I was set on the floor to test how it was going. I wobbled and fell a couple of times from the unusual restriction.

Eventually I seemed to get the hang of it though it was beyond uncomfortable as my leg was practically useless like this, and to add to the humiliation the tape he used to secure the white bandage around my leg was a fluro eye burning pink that contrasted terribly with my long black fur.

"Alright, she should be good to go, but keep an eye on her, I'll check up in a month to be sure its not healing wrong, she's probably a little hungry, there's some salmon in the fridge of the penthouse kitchen I remember Pepper saying she was going to eat but...you didn't hear that from me"

The scientist smiled and turned away when Steve and Thor thanked him and I was scooped up back into Steve's arms and carried off to the elevator back to the penthouse. When we re entered I was set on the counter and I flinched wildly when I heard deep velvety laughter,

My eyes flickered up to the ledge attached to the wall where the bookshelf and chair was and there sat the sleek god his long legs crossed over one another a book propped open in one hand as he looked down at us.

 Was that ledge up there really necessary? half of me figured he just made that ledge for himself because its high up and he seemed to like reading,

"what on earth is that?" his grin pissed me off as I hissed up at him and settled down on the counter,

"She fractured her leg and needed something to stabilize it until it heals" Steve replied rummaging in the fridge as Thor took a seat at one of the bar stools and analyzed the cast on my leg as i stayed weary.

"It looks even more half-witted, but I suppose it has since the day in that dreadful beverage store" He droned and I dug my claws into the marble bench glowering up at him when I get my claws on you-

"found it!" Steve chimed and glanced at me offering the plate of raw fish but I turned my nose up at it, cooked, please.

Thor let out a jovial laugh that startled me and I backed away at the sudden loudness of it,

"It seems she is as picky as you brother!" he called and Loki simply sniffed and turned his attention back to his book. Tch, like I'd want anything in common with that,

Thankfully Steve was kind enough to cook the fish that I was now drooling over as he presented it in front of me and I dug in purring at the taste of it "what is this noise it's making?" Thor questioned.

"It's called purring Thor, it happens when cats are happy" I happily gobbled down the rest of the fish licking my maws and cleaning my face and Steve scratched under my chin.