Prologue: In Death Do We Part

Sakura's POV.

I knew what I said to Sasuke was true, but I couldn't help but feel doubt that he would listen. I was right.

"You really are..." He paused and turned to me and smirked. "Damn annoying."

That was when he flash-stepped in front of me, and stuck a hand into my chest, casting me into a strong genjutsu. The last thing I heard before I collapsed on the ground was Naruto's voice screaming something incoherent. Then everything was black.

In Sakura's Genjutsu...

A second later, I found myself standing in the middle of a black void. I looked around for anything but it was just black and empty. Then the black scenery started to blur and change and I found myself back at Konoha. The Konoha before it been destroyed. My eyes widened in surprise but the scene changed again and I found myself standing at the front of the Academy. My brow furrowed in confusion and I frowned. Why am I here?

Suddenly, someone burst through the doors, making me jump.

A little girl ran past me in blur of pink and red and giggled. Wait, pink and red?

My eyes trailed after my younger self.

How naïve we were as children, Inner said. I had to agree with her. I was reminded of how useless and selfish I was when I was younger. I hated myself for it.

I grimaced.

Then the scene changed, blurring until it formed into a totally different setting. This time, I was at the spot where I had ate my lunch the day I graduated from the Academy. My grimace deepened slightly. Why am I even here?

Then a 12 year-old me and 12 year-old Sasuke formed in the exact same spots we were in before. I watched my younger self make a fool out of herself and talk all "high and mighty", making insults about Naruto. I started to hate myself even more. Regret.

I watched as Sasuke walked away after talking back to me and calling me annoying.

Something tugged at my heart. A tight feeling in my chest.

The seen changed and formed into a large misty bridge. The place where we had our first A-ranked mission together. The Great Naruto Bridge.

I watched as Sasuke threw himself in front of Naruto to protect him, sacrificing himself, and Naruto, unleashing the Kyuubi chakra, fought valiantly against Haku while Kakashi against Zabuza. All the while my younger self, being the useless little civilian-born girl she was, stood in front of Tazuna, the master bridge builder, doing nothing but watch.

Something warm and wet slid down my face. I was crying.

The scene changed another time and I was surrounded by dark overgrowth and...a giant snake.

My eyes widened as I realized where I was. I was in the middle of the Chunnin exams in the Forest of Death. In the middle of me and Sasuke's first encounter with Orochimaru.

My body started to tremble as tears continued to run down my face.

I watched as Sasuke stabbed himself in the thigh and carry me away to hide and continued to dodge as far as we can from Orochimaru.

The tears came faster and soon I was sobbing while I watched, the tight feeling and the regret growing larger and larger in my chest until it was almost intolerable.

I gritted my teeth, not to hold the tears back but in anger.

It's all his fault, I thought as I glared through my tears at Orochimaru. All I wanted to do was kill him right on the spot, but it would be pointless. This was only a genjutsu.