Play it Again Sam

Play it Again Sam

Well, to be honest, I’m not entirely sure what this is. It’s kind of a song based short story. Yes sort of depressing, but I was trying to describe the song through Sam’s story and vice versa. Anyway, hope you like it (: 

Also, if you want the full experience, I suggest listening to the song while you read. It’s Play it Again Sam! You Don’t Have Any Feathers by Manchester Orchestra.

You lift your skinny fists up in the sky

Packed a change of clothes and left

In the middle of July 2005

But when the glass, it hit the wall

Mother cried and the cops were called

The day you said goodbye

The trees whizzed by my car window, the sky overhead a sorrowful gray and the ground below laden with snow. My head rested against the cool glass as I watched the world pass by. My thoughts were laced with an everlasting sadness as we sat in silence, him and me. The words formed on my lips, but I didn’t speak them, for what was there to say?

His fingers tapped the steering wheel along with the music; the only stability I could wrap my mind around. I wanted to thank him, that kind boy, for taking me away from there, because it was the right thing to say. I should be happy to be away from that horrible place. But I couldn’t hide the empty feeling of abandonment that shadowed my heart after I left.

Maybe he was right; I was messed up. I was sick. I was crazy. Still, it hurt to hear my own father say the words. He was the one who was supposed to help me and guide me.

Your father left his work by one or two

To a crying telephone

His wife was on the other side of you

Really did it this time

The boy looks down and begins to cry

The day you said goodbye

I guess the only one I had left was the boy who sat next to me-the boy I loved, the one who gave me the tiny flutter of hope inside my aching heart. His blue eyes were focused straight ahead but his callused hand rested on my knee. It was better that way; I couldn’t stand for him to see me this broken. He was the one who wanted me to stay, so how could I tell him I wanted to leave?

“There’s always hope,” he would tell me when I brought it up. “Don’t leave me now.” He would pull me into his warm arms, a feeling of safety unfurling over me like a pair of wings.

Your skinny legs bounced up into the sky

I tried to tell you to be careful not to jump that high

With your fingers crossed, you fall against the ground

I saw it all, the day you tried to fly

But I could never hold it for long. The hurt and damage from so long ago would come rushing back and shatter me all over again. I was scarred for eternity, and honestly, the thought no longer frightened me. I had come to accept the fact that I may never be whole again. And since I’m still being honest, I don’t think I’ll be here much longer to be empty anyway.

I focused my attention back on the falling snow outside the car and my eyes slowly drifted shut. I blocked out my thoughts and the world around me. Alone and caged inside my self, I replayed the image of myself making the jump, only to catch myself with glorious stark white wings. I could fly, suspended in the wind as snowflakes caught on my feathers. Up in the air, I was beautiful. I was happy.

When the red and blue lights made the scene

Your eyes were glazed, and honestly

Can you remember anything?

But when the others ran away

I prayed to God they wouldn’t stay

But sometimes He doesn’t listen

I was far away from everything and everyone by now. I was free. I was merely a bird, my wings spread across the sky. And when I looked down, I could see them waving for me to come down. My father, my mother, and the one I loved-my friends, my family, and the ones who loved me. Sam, they called, their arms spread wide as if they wanted to fly with me. But they would only scar me again, pick at the newly formed scabs all over my soul.

Along my flight, I realized that, well; I didn’t want to come back down. I was carefree here, and I was safe. Safe forever, not only a few precious moments.

But when I opened my eyes again, my wings broke, and I crashed down into the crowd beneath me.

From a father to his daughter

My prodigal child, come back to me

From a sinner to his Maker

Your prodigal son is on his knees

When I fell, I realized what would happen if I tried to fly. I would come crashing back down and hurt the people around me. I couldn’t win. Either way, we would all hurt.

As if we didn’t already.

I wrapped my arms around myself to try and cage the sadness in, but it spilled over the brim, and tears leaked out of my dark eyes. I squeezed them shut and clasped a hand over my mouth to hold back a shuddering breath.

“Sam?” He said, concern thick in his voice. “Are you okay?” His hand rubbed soothing circles on my knee but I could barely feel it. I could only cry, the tears carving paths on my cheeks.

“Don’t cry sweetheart, I’m here.” I took another breath and wiped the tears away. “Besides, you’re safe now. See? We’re here,” A sad smile formed on his dimpled face. I couldn’t leave him. How would he ever forgive me for being so selfish?

Sweet God, please hold on to me

Sweet God, hold her please, oh please

The day she tries to fly

Hold me, the day I try to fly

He helped me out of the car and I collapsed into his arms again, wanting the warmth and happiness that lingered there. It was as if the beautiful white wings were around us again, their protection keeping me tethered to life. I looked up at the white sky as snowflakes landed on my damp face and dark eyelashes.

I was safe, and I had so much to live for. Here, in my arms, was the most important reason of all.

The home in front of us was small, but light streamed out through the windows onto the white wonderland. He led me to the door.

“Sam, this is all ours. Here you are safe from him. Here, you have me.” When he kissed me, soft and kind on my cold lips, I melted away into the happiness and hope.

He was all I ever needed.