A Bit of Sunshine

(I'm getting bored...and am starting to revert to the writer's block I escaped before. So, here's something special)
(9 years ago)
"Mikey Mikey! Come play with us!" Elizabeth, only 5 years old, squealed as she kicked open the boy's bedroom door, Chris at her heels.
Michael nodded, his mind concentrating on stitching together a raggedy teddy bear. "Sure, whatever, maybe later."
Chris poked his sister on the arm. "Lizzy, he's busy again. Maybe we should go or..."
Elizabeth cut him off, adamant about playing with her oldest brother. "Mikey please! Pretty please!"
Michael slammed the needle and thread on the desk, ripping the head clean off the bear. In a fit of frustration, he hurled the headless teddy across the room, where it exploded I to a pile of stuffing and mothballs. "Get. Out. Of. My. Room."
Chris burst into tears, running into Elizabeth's room before either sibling could react.
Elizabeth, however, was far more stubborn, and took a tiny step into Michael's room. "Mikey we just wanted to play. You're not busy NOW, so we can plays lots and lots!"
Michael walked towards his little sister and shoved a small bunny plush into her arms. The ears had been freshly stitched and the entire toy, once dusty and mite-infested, now looked brand new. "Get out now, Lizzy. This is your last warning."
Elizabeth jumped up, managing to shove the bunny's head into her brother's mouth before running away giggling.
Michael spat out the bunny, a grin forming on his face. Allowing a small giggle to slip past his lips, he raced after Elizabeth, going far slower than his usual pace intentionally.
Why do the best of things never last?