»That Woman«

"Noni, may I ask you about my abilities?" Sadie Sink has asked the woman who was healing a dead plant. Winona has pinched a leaf of a raspberry bush between her index finger and thumb with her eyes closed. She murmuring something under her breath and the plants dry brown leaves and stems had transformed into a healthy green plant with blossoms. "You may ask, but I must warn you of something. I don't know much about your power." She answered after picking off a few large berries to put them in a basket. Sadie held a clipboard in her hand where she could make notes of the plants in the greenhouse. Right beside the word 'raspberries', the red head had written 'more water' after noticing a bunch of dead bushes.

"Well...I don't think I want it anymore if I can hear other people's thoughts," Sadie was hesitant to admit it in front of these plants and her teacher. Dozens of whispers came from around the garden, but only Sadie could hear them. "I don't mind listening to plants and caring for nature and such, but I just hate hearing what my friends think about. It makes me uncomfortable and I feel like I'm invading their privacy." The teen explains. Winona understands that Sadie has a difficult time juggling all of these powers, which is why she's taught her how to manage them.

So the woman picking berries decides to remind Sadie of what she's been told. "You know what to do when you don't wanna listen to others thoughts. Listen to your own. Tune in to your own mind." As they now migrate towards a row of rose bushes and Sadie makes a note on the roses, 'need attention', she considered the advice. 'Please don't pick me. Not today. I'm not finished.' A little rose bud spoke. Noni went in to grab it, but Sadie grabbed her wrist to prevent her from picking it. "She's still developing. Try this one." The woman apologizes and drags her attention towards a different bush. 'Bless you, Sadie.'

"Don't answer the door!" Lilia bursts through the doors of the greenhouse. The two in the garden stopped to stare at her with confusion and worry. The blonde was panting, her eyes were big. "Noni, I'm home!" Someone had sung from the foyer. That voice. It made Lilia cold, but made Winona freeze. That voice belongs to an old "friend". The three share a glance at one another before running inside to see that woman Lilia spoke to outside now in the house with Finn awkwardly standing beside her. "Lisanne." Winona had spoken under her breath at the sight of this woman. Lisanne Falk was an alumni of the coven.

"Noni, it's so good to see you after all these years. You still look like a naive little teenager." The tall woman spoke as she clasped her hands together and held them below her bust. "How the hell did you get in here?" Lilia barks, stepping forward. Lisanne shows a smile and glances back at Finn. He had opened the door when he heard a knock as he was in the library at the time. Of course Lilia had frantically warned him not to as she was running down the stairs coughing with her hand around her throat. Finn ignored her command.

The blonde teenager dressed in black had glared at him with gritted teeth as he was told not to open the door. "Who is she, Noni?" Sadie piped up from behind the short woman holding a basket of berries. Winona swallowed after noticing how dry her throat was and turned her head back a little. "This is... Lisanne Falk. She was apart of this coven long ago." "Yeah, Noni and I go way back. I've known her for almost fourty years now." Lisanne adds as she takes a step closer towards the three. Lilia didn't like how close she was getting or her presence. Something about this woman wasn't right. She almost killed her on the balcony upon meeting her for the first time.

"Kids, do you mind going to your rooms while I speak with Winona?" The woman in the dress politely asked the three teens that stand around in shock and confusion. Lilia was quick to respond negatively. "Hell no!" "Lilia, please." The short woman with dark brown hair tried to calm her down. The goth looked at her in the eyes as she tried to tell her what happened on the balcony. "Noni, she tried to kill me. I don't want you to be alone with her." "Oh talking about how cigarettes are dangerous isn't killer. By the way, you really shouldn't let a minor smoke. I don't even know how she got her hands on something like that."

Winona grabs Lilia's arms as she stares into her eyes. "Lilia, I promise that it'll be alright if you leave for a few minutes." The blonde wanted to protest and defend herself, but she was so out of breath that all she did was lead Sadie and Finn upstairs to her bedroom. The two women went to the living room to talk. Lisanne sat on a sofa beneath the window next to the fireplace while Winona sat on a bench in the corner. She sat her berries down and removed her gloves and bonnet as the other woman spoke. "It's been so long since I've seen you. So much has changed."

"Yeah, I've got new witches. And a sorcerer." Noni chuckles lightly at the fact. Lisanne hums and gives a lazy little smile as she talks about the children. "They must be a handful, especially that blonde one. Is she always so ill mannered?" Winona didn't appreciate her talking about Lilia like that. "She's just protective is all. Lilia is one of the nicest people you could ever." The lady in the dress fake smiled and nodded like she didn't believe it. She didn't. "Well it must be so difficult to run this place and especially at your age. You have to deal with these teenagers with their drama and emotions. Don't you ever wanna take a break from it all?"

Winona actually never thought about just leaving the coven. This place is her destiny, her mother's dream. Leaving to start a new life would leave a huge hole in her heart. She shook her head. "I don't think I could ever-" "I wanna run your coven." Lisanne blurted out so calmly and seriously. Noni sat there in disbelief. She couldn't even think of what to say, so the woman in the dress went on to speak. "I just had so much fun living here and learning beneath you and Cher while she was still alive. I wanna take over your coven and teach your students." That's when Noni became angry, but didn't show it. "They're not just my students, they're my children. Most of their families never call or visit, in the only one who can understand and comfort them."

Lisanne feared that she would have to pry this place out of Winona's frail hands. She sat up straight and widened her smile. She wouldn't use force, yet. "Noni, darling, you've kept this place going for thirty years and you're not getting any younger," neither is she, being six years older than Winona. "I just think you should take a break, maybe move somewhere fun for a few years like I did. You don't want to be taking care of these sex crazed hooligans your whole life, do you?" Winona considered it. She actually did wanna go out and see more places. Maybe some place beautiful like the Bahamas, or Italy. But what about the others? How could she just leave them here in Indiana while she's out exploring the world. "...I'll get back to you on that. I just need some time to think." Lisanne nods and stood up. Noni showed her out with kindness and when she shut the door, she felt the pressure of decision making on her shoulders. Will Winona actually give up the coven?

-----------------------

FUCK I FORGOT TO UPDATE YESTERDAY!!!

As I've said in Torturous, I'm not feeling well so yesterday I spent the whole day meditating and distressing so that's why I didn't update. My apologies🔮