Chapter 10

"What's wrong?" asked my mom.

"David's in the hospital, he got into a car accident," I said to her, packing a small bag.

"Oh god, I'll watch Nicolette, you go see him."

"Thanks mom, I love you."

"I love you too, I hope David is okay."

I quickly got in my car and drove to the hospital to meet up with Darcy.

"Come with me," she said. I followed her deep into the emergency room where David was lying unconscious.

I started to sob while I reached for his hand.

"We're taking him up to get a CT scan," said the nurse, "please back away."

I went back with Darcy and we waited as they did some tests on David.

After what seemed like an eternity, they brought David back and he was actually awake, but he seemed agitated.

"David, baby!"

He looked at me with tears in his eyes, "Alina."

"Okay we are going to transport him to a room now," a nurse said to us, "he's stable and they are going to handle the pain medications he will need. He's got some broken ribs but he should be okay, he just needs to rest and let them heal. The medication will help."

We followed them up to where they transported David. As soon as he settled in, a nurse came in to give him pain medication.

When everyone left, it was just me, David, and Darcy in the room together.

"David, what happened?" I asked.

"Someone hit me," he said with a raspy voice, "my ribs hurt."

"I know babe, you have some broken ribs."

"I feel tired," he said, slowly closing his eyes.

Darcy saw the panic in my eyes and she comforted me, "that's the pain meds kicking in, he'll be okay."

I took a seat right next to him and so did Darcy.

A few hours later, i woke up and realized I had fallen asleep in the chair and it was morning now.

A doctor walked in while David slowly started opening his eyes.

"Looks like you can go home today," he said, "we filled a prescription for your pain medications and you should take it easy for the next couple of months. Your ribs should heal all on their own, the fractures weren't too severe."

"Thanks doc," he said.

"I'm just glad you're okay," said Darcy.

"Yeah, me too," he said.

Later that day, we all went home.

"I'm going to take good care of you," I said to him once he got settled into our bed.

"Thanks babe," he said, "I love and appreciate you."

"I love you too."

His pain medications were really strong, they made him sleep about 12 hours every night. Due to his condition, he couldn't take any classes over the summer.

Soon enough, he was healed and everything went back to normal.

It was the day of my high school graduation. Mine and David's family gathered at the ceremony and watched as I had gotten my diploma.

"Now that you're graduated, I've been meaning to ask you something," said David.

"What is it?"

"I was thinking about how life is short and maybe we should just get married now, have a small courthouse ceremony and just make it official already."

"I would love that," I said, "when should we do it?"

"Next weekend."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was our wedding day. We didn't do anything too fancy. It was just us at the courthouse with our closest family as witnesses. We were planning our real wedding later on when we both finished college. But for now, this was perfect.

"Alina Jewel, I like the sound of that," I said, looking at the certificate of marriage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally met up with Molly and Courtney for the concert we had been planning for a while.

"So, hows married life?" asked Molly.

"It's great, but nothing really changed. David and I love each other with or without the marriage certificate."

She shrugged.

We walked around and jammed out to some live music.

"So, David didn't want to come along?" asked Courtney.

"No, he's still technically healing," I said, "he should be all clear next month. Right now, he's staying home and taking care of Nikki for the most part."

"I really wish you weren't so busy all the time," she said, "we've missed you."

"I know, I've missed you guys too. It's been crazy with David's accident, graduation, and then the wedding."

"We understand," said Molly, "I hope we can have more days like today soon."

"I hope so too," I said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nicolette was watching My Little Pony.

"Maybe we should get her away from the tv and take her to the park or something," I suggested.

"Sure," said David, "Alright Nikki, let's go play!"

He hyped her up while I got the stroller ready.

We slowly walked to the park, Nikki was carrying her baby doll that she brought along everywhere nowadays.

"I'm excited to start classes again," I said.

"Not me, I'm going to take another semester off," he said.

"Why?"

"I just don't think I'm ready to go back to school or work yet," he said.

"I understand." But at the same time, I didn't. He's okay now. He's stopped taking his medication, the doctor cleared him already.

When we got to the park, David kicked a ball around with Nikki. The two of them had such a close bond, it made me feel really happy that I had such an amazing little family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took out the trash in our bathroom.

"What is that?" I thought out loud as I looked to see what was poking out.

"Oh my god," I yelled, "DAVID?!"