Eve: part 11

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Part 11

May 22, 2010. Sunday. 7:30 p.m.

“Well, it's about freakin' time,” Emma scorned as she and Eve rode up the elevator. “I know you like your privacy and all with Carey, but after four weeks, it's gotten a little ridiculous.”

“So sorry, Emma,” Eve said, staring at the lights counting up the floors above the sliding double doors. “But we just figured Carey would get better faster if he wasn't pestered. Now, I know differently.”

“So, he's found a girlfriend? Just wait until I see him...”

“Which will be in about two minutes,” Eve said to her best friend. “So, be nice. He doesn't know you're coming.”

Emma grinned. “Never mind that. Tell me about this doctor.”

“All you need to know is to keep him out of my hair for a while. I don't care how you do it. I'm letting you release your inner bitch and drama queen.” Eve quelled on the inside. Emma could be pretty dramatic if the occasion called for it.

Emma waved a hand. “Eh... I'll keep it toned down, I promise. Now, who, exactly, am I diverting?”

“Clint LeBoeuf,” Eve answered as the doors slid open, and she peeked down the corridor for any sign of him. “He's tall, wavy, unkempt dark-blond hair, and really gorgeous brown eyes. Believe me, you can't miss him. Just look out for the wrinkled t-shirt and ripped jeans.”

“He sounds yummy,” Emma crooned, and Eve muttered, “You have no idea.” Her former roommate slapped her on the arm. “I heard that,” she said, smirking. “You'll have to tell me about that later.”

Remembering how she got all up Emma's business when Michael came back to town and Emma couldn't decide what to do about the lust-stirring man she'd been in love with forever...

Emma was due for some payback. “I'll tell you everything,” she told Emma, “but after I see Carey. Deal?”

“Lead the way,” Emma declared and practically skipped behind her down the white, speckled tile floor. Emma grasped her arm, pulling her back from an adjacent hallway she almost turned down. “Whoa! Is that him?”

Eve peeked around the corner. “Yeah,” she sighed. Clint stood, hands on hips, talking to a younger man that Eve barely recognized as a medical technician of some sort. “That's him. You got a plan? I need to get past him. Carey's in room 734. Meet me there when you get rid of Mr. Scruffy.”

Emma snorted. “You're starting to sound like me.”

“Only the greatest people in the world influence me,” Eve said sweetly and shoved Emma around the corner. “Go get him.”

A minute passed. Then a screech, a crash, and a stampede of footsteps. Eve peeked again. The coast was clear. Gotta love Emma.