Today was the Trunswick Nectar Ceremony. In less than an hour, the local children who turned eleven this month would each try to call a spirit animal. Cayden knew that some families tended to form beastial bonds more regularly than others. Even so, calling a spirit animal was never guaranteed, no matter what your family name. There were only four kids scheduled to drink the Nectar, and the odds were against any of them succeeding. It was certainly nothing to boast about before it happened.

"What animal do you think you'll get?" Dawson wondered.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Devin said. "What do you expect?"

"A chipmunk," Dawson predicted.

Devin lunged at his brother, who scampered away, giggling. Dawson was not dressed as formally as his older brother, which allowed him freer movement. Still, Devin soon caught him and tackled him to the floor, pinning him down.

"A bear would be more likely," Devin said, grinding his elbow into his brother's chest. "Or a wildcat, like Father. First thing I'll do is have it taste you."

Cayden shuffled his feet in impatience, Conor noticed and gave him a look, telling him to wait quietly as it wasn't their place to intervene.

"You might get nothing," Dawson said bravely.

"Then all I'll be is Earl of Trunswick, and your master."

"Not if Father outlives you."

"I'd mind my tongue, second son."

"I'm glad I'm not you!"

Devin twisted Dawson's nose until he yelped, then stood up, brushing off his trousers. "At least my nose isn't sore."

Conor and Cayden will drink the Nector to!" Dawson cried. Maybe one of them will be able to call a spirit animal."

Conor visibly shrank back, while Cayden stood taller. Did he hope to summon a spirit animal? Of course! Who wouldn't? You couldn't help hoping. Just because nobody in his family had done it since his dead mother decades ago didn't make it impossible.

"Right." Devin chuckled. "And I suppose the smith's daughter will summon one as well."

"You never know," Dawson said, sitting up and rubbing his nose. "Conor, Cayden what would you like to have?"

"I'd like some animal to help me with the chickens. Maybe a nocturnal animal that will stay up at night to ward off the foxes." Cayden answered as Conor stared at the floor wishing to avoid the question.

"And you Conor," Dawson asked with curiosity.

Conor continued staring at the floor. He had been asked a direct question by a noble, so he had to answer. "I've always gotten on well with dogs. I'd like a sheepdog, I guess."

"What an imagination!" Devin laughed. "The sheepherder dreams of calling a sheepdog and the chickenkeeper a chicken protector."

" A dog would be fun," Dawson defended.

"And common," Devin said. "How many dogs do you have, Conor, and chickens you Cayden?"

"Thirty-one hens and four roosters," Cayden proudly answered.

"My family? Ten last I counted," Conor said.

"How long has it been since you've seen your family?" Dawson asked.

Cayden noticed Conor trying to keep his voice clear while he gave him pitied looks. "Since I first came to serve here."

"Will either of your families be there today?"