2. The Cooking Test

Start from the beginning

I didn't expect him to be that straightforward. All of my remaining confidence disappeared into the thin air after this question, "I trust my cooking skills. I've learned cooking at the orphanage where I grew up. Home cooking is not difficult. If you're looking for a house cook that means you want a cook who can cook simple meals. Besides, I know beyond simple cooking."

I paused, expecting a response, but all I got a frown from him. He didn't say anything so I continued my speech, "I can cook many things from other foreign cuisines. Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Thai. I even know baking."

"But, the household staff here is quite experienced. You don't even have single diploma in the respective field. Why should I give you this job?" He quizzed, arching a brow at me.

Say goodbye to your college admission this year. The voice in my head scared me.

I tightened my jaws, scratching my temple in uneasiness, "Try me. Give me a chance. Try my food and then decide. I need this job, Mr. Brooke."

"Call me Andrew." He said, "And besides, my job is to select the best domestic staff for the family. Hobsons are very sensitive about their food. I can't take a risk."

I fought the urge to go on my knees in front of him and begged for the job because my pride stopped me and forced me to act civil, "How can you be so certain without trying me? I know very well about this family's reputation and power. Still I dared to apply here why? Because I'm so sure about my cooking. Try me, Andrew. I assure you, you won't regret."

He started laughing. I raised my brows at him. "I like your confidence. Prepare something Italian."

"What? Did I get this job?"

"No." He shook his head in negative, "But, I gave you a chance. You're lucky that you got one only because I'm urgently in need of a cook. Prepare dinner for the family. They will taste it and then I'll tell you their feedback."

A smile slowly made its way across my face. I couldn't believe he was finally convinced. All I needed a chance to prove myself to them and finally I got one. Now I had to do my best and make myself a permanent cook here.

Afterwards, Andrew asked me to follow him. He was taking me to the kitchen. On the way, he told me tips and techniques to impress the billionaire family. He also told me that mostly there are only three people who eats here three meals a day; Matt Hobsons, his wife Katherine and their younger son Ashar Hobsons. Sometimes, their elder brother Austin also joins them with his wife for any meal of the day.

Moreover, I also found out that Ashar Hobsons was getting married within a month. That's why nowadays family enjoys all mealtimes together and discuss the wedding preps. I listened to him carefully in order to know how many people are going to be there for the dinner so I could prepare the food accordingly.

"This is the kitchen." As soon as Andrew stepped inside the room, he pronounced.

I turned my head and gazed the room. My jaw hit the floor and I started gawking at the kitchen. It was so spacious that it could form the five separate rooms for the school dormitory. All of the lights were on right now, brightening the place. The red and maroon cabinets with a black, shiny marbled counter and white, mirrored tiles were making it look like a kitchen of five star hotel.

It also had room-sized frozen area where they kept fruits, veggies and variety of meat, arranged in a way as you see it in a closed, air-conditioned meat shop. If I would just pass today's test, this beautiful kitchen would be my workplace. A feeling of excitement filled me.

"Start your work. I'm sending someone to assist you." He said and then walked out.

This mansion was like a dream house. I had only watched these kinds of gigantic houses in pictures and movies, so it was not easy to believe that all of it was real. I had never encountered with someone who was as rich as this family. It was all new for me.