treinta y seis

"Oscar already reserved a venue for my quinceañera, so I expect you all there." Arcelia said with a glare. "Even you." She said to Cesar.

Cesar looked at his twin in confusion, as she was fed a fry by Ruby. "How? There's no way Oscar will let me in."

"I sneak you in through the back. Duh." Arcelia told him. "Plus, it's not like he'll notice. And I told him he's not allowed to kick anyone out unless I approve, so you're good." Arcelia told him.

Cesar let out a breath and nodded. "Oh, when are we going shopping for our dresses?" Jasmine asked leaning in like it was a secret that the Santos were throwing a big quinceañera. "I was thinking next Saturday. I'm in demand all week. Oh! And I know the perfect place to go."

"Why are you doing a Great Gatsby theme again?" Monse asked, taking a bite of her carrot and chewing loudly, and stopping when she realized everyone was staring.

"She likes the colors." Ruby said.

"And it screams 'rich and elegant'." Arcelia added. "You guys know you have to get measured for you chambelane outfits, right?"

× × ×

Ruby carried Arcelia's backpack while she held her textbook and held her free hand as they walked down the hallway. Along the way, they ran into Monse and Cesar. "Might as well be the Queen Mary."

"Isn't that a ship?"

"And a hotel."

"That's haunted." Arcelia jumped in.

Ruby nodded, then adjusted the 2 backpacks he had on. "Speaking of paranormal, I think Jasmine might be the Candyman. Every time one of us says her name a few times, she just appears."

Everyone turned around to face forward and jumped when they saw Jamal and Sebastian on the side of the group. "Shit, we scared you that much?"

"There's a lot of that going around lately." Jamal commented. "It's like one second you're minding your own business, and then bam! Rosy cheeks and beady eyes are staring right at you!"

Sebastian scrunched his face up and held his backpack straps. "Is everything okay at home?"

Jamal shook his head in paranoia and sighed. "I wouldn't say Jasmine has beady eyes."

"Jasmine? Who's talking about Jasmine?"

"We are!" Ruby and Arcelia said, but Ruby was more aggressive with it. "Everytime we say her name a few times, she appears out of thin air?"

"I wouldn't say thin air." Cesar detested.

Arcelia raised her eyebrows and pursed her lips. "Watch." She said simply. "Jasmine, Jasmine, Jasmine." As if it was choreographed, Jasmine popped out from somwhere and ended up in front of the group.

"I found you guys!" Jasmine said, grabbing Arcelia's arm and walking with her. "You feeling okay? This is the first time without your sling and we don't need you getting hurt and Oscar murdering someone."

"He won't murder anyone." Arcelia said, annoyed how that was an assumption people still had. Ruby followed the two and sat on the stairs with Jamal. Since Arcelia and Jasmine were a few steps up, Ruby sat between Arcelia's legs as she talked to Jasmine.

"I'll see you guys at lunch." Sebastian said, continuing to walk down the hallway to his next class.

"Same. We'll catch you guys." Cesar said, pulling Monse along behind him.

Jasmine held onto Arcelia's arm, talking her ear off, but Ruby wasn't having it. "Actually Jasmine, we need something." Jasmine, being the good friend she is, nodded and made no objections. "Uh, flaming hot cheetos with chilli, chamoy and extra lime from Raul's Pink Truck."

Arcelia tilted her and looked down at Ruby as she played with his hair. "Raul's pink truck c-"

"Is awesome!"

"Hey, you know what? I got you guys." Jasmine said. She pulled out her inhaler from the cheetah fanny pack around her waist, took a puff, and started runing down the hallway.

"That wasn't nice. I was having a conversation."

"I saved you. Maybe we won't be seeing her for quite some time." Arcelia pouted and looked down the hallway to see that Jasmine had completely disappeared.

× × ×

Arcelia sat on her bed, her legs dangling over the side as she laid on her stomach and did her homework. She wrote her name, the date, and the class period, then sighed. "I need a snack."

Arcelia rolled off her bed and once she was out of her room, she heard the music coming from outside. However, she ignored it and went to the kitchen. Arcelia stood in front of the fridge for about 2 minutes before closing it and opening all of the cabinets.

"Soup or... we only have soup."

"There's literally tacos on the stove, estupida."

Arcelia turned around to Oscar then to the stove. "How am I supposed to know that?"

"By using your eyes." Arcelia smacked her lips as she put the soup back and grabbed a plate for all the tacos she was going to smuggle into her room. "Aye, save me some, gordita."

"Umm... no." Arcelia continued putting tacos onto her plate until she couldn't fit anymore, leaving Oscar about 5.

"You know you won't finish that. Give me this."

"Watch me, pendejo." Arcelia bit into one, smacking her lips obnoxiously as she chewed. "These are bomb."

What kinda stuff do you guys want to see more of? 👀