Chapter 8, What's Life Without Challenges?

The room dull with a gloomy florescent globe that blinked occasionally. My wrists burned where the handcuffs once held my hands. I caught myself rubbing those bruised wrists. In front is the reflection of me and Robyn, a girl who trusted the wrong guy. I'm guilty but glad that we in the same room. We've been held for hours now, waiting for the higher-ups, or so they told us.

The door opens and slams, startling both of us. The officer throws some files on the desk, not saying a word. He was bald, had a grey beard that was neatly trimmed. He walked around with his hands behind his back. " So, which one of you wants to explain yourselves!" he snaps, drilling fear into me.

"Can I, uh, can I call my lawyer?" I begin to tremble, my voice hoarse.

"Are you sure, getting a lawyer will get you in serious trouble, young man," he asked cunningly. It didn't seem as if he was warning me. It seemed as if he was testing my wits or what it'd take for me to break.

I know how this goes; they break you till you confess, leading you to more jail time. "I'll take my chances, thank you. I'll say nothing more."

I glanced at Robyn. She was scared out of her mind, looking back at me, ready to break and confess. I shake my head, hoping she doesn't.

He bangs the table with his hands, making me and Robyn jerk. "You will tell me what I want now! Once I walk out that door, it's over. You will go to jail! "

Robyn opens her mouth to speak, but he held up his hand, stopping her. She nodded in shame before dropping her gaze to the floor.

He throws me the phone as he leaves the room, stopping at the door to see my confusion and said, "call your lawyer."

"Yeah, you better run," I mutter as the door shut, "I'm in luck, my aunt is the best lawyer in L.A. What's her number again?"

Robyn smiles and facepalms herself. "It gets better, you said."

"Shush, I'm trying to think."

"There's no use because—"

"oh yes, it's ringing we're getting out of here," I interjected. Robyn muttered something, but I couldn't make any of it, nor did I pay close attention since my aunt picked up.

"Hey Aunt kate, it's Jade, your favourite nephew,"

" Hey Jade, jerk face of a nephew!"

"That's no way to greet your nephew, I know it's been long, I missed you."

"You talk shit. You only miss me when you in trouble."

"No, I don't."

"Oh, really, what about last year on new year's day?"

"I called to wish you a happy New Year..."

"Bullshit! You called me after one to help you get out of a traffic fine for skipping a red light, not mentioning that you caused an accident!"

"Well it wasn't my fault. Did he not smash into the guy behind him?"

" Why did he bump into the other car in the first place?"

"Uh, anyway, I know I did call you long after that. "

"Yes? "

"See, and that time I wasn't in trouble."

"Yes, and your point is?"

"That I don't call you whenever I'm in trouble."

"that doesn't—"

"Anyway, I need a lawyer. I'm at LAPD. Please help me."

"Son of a— ahem, I knew it. So you finally landed up in jail again? "