Chapter 20

A little bit of music to set the mood... >;)

I slammed the basement door closed behind me and shoved a table in front of it blocking his way out. Bubba's footsteps pounded up the staircase, a shrill screech like the squeal of a pig tore through him. I dashed for the front door, grasping the knob and giving it a tug, but it wouldn't budge. Voices upstairs and footsteps in the room above my head filled me with dread. Oh no, they're awake. They're all awake.

The key! Where's the key? I stretched up on my tippytoes and felt around above the doorframe until something small and thin brushed against my fingers. Holy crap, thank God they're predictable enough to keep it above the door because the barricade won't hold Bubba much longer. I stuck the rusty iron key in the lock, my hands fumbling with it as I twisted it until it clicked.

"What's going on down there?!" Loretta called as she descended the stairs with Nubbins at her heels.

Bubba broke down the door and stumbled over the furniture I planted in his path. I shoved the door open and bolted onto the porch. Daylight had just begun to break and everything was still bathed in shadow but light enough for me to see clearly. Tripping down the front steps, I flew out onto the lawn, my dress tangled around my legs. The screen door opened and slammed closed behind me which means he's close.

It came as a deep grumble at first, a familiar low growl. Flashbacks to the night I was captured flooded my memory. The two strangers silhouetted in the beam of our totaled car's headlight, one wielding a weapon that made my heart sink. The blood ran cold in my veins; the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. I glanced back against my better judgment and instantly regretted it. Bubba gave one last pull of the starter cord to crank the engine, puffs of smoke and black oil shot out as he charged towards me with his roaring chainsaw in tow.

A scream ripped through my throat disturbing the serene morning as I ran through the winding path cutting through the cornfield. The sun rose over the horizon, an orange glow painted the tops of the trees. It's beautiful and I'd love to stop and stare, but unfortunately, I'm too busy RUNNING FOR MY LIFE!

The commotion of yells behind me tells me Nubbins and Loretta are up too. "Get that bi***" Nubbins called out as he joined the chase, cackling and slicing through the air with his knife.

My legs couldn't seem to move fast enough. My burning lungs begged me to take a break, but I couldn't. He was at my back, screeching like a banshee, the saw so close I could feel the wind on my neck. The smell of burning gas wafted through the air, the roar so loud that it drowned out my screams.

Immense pain shot through my leg from my skin splitting open as the saw blade sliced into my thigh. My knees gave out, I fell to my stomach and screamed in agony as I clutched the deep gash oozing blood like a burst dam. The warm crimson liquid spilled down my leg and mingled with the dirt making pools of black mud that I slithered through trying my best to crawl away. My fingernails snapped off as I dug them into the earth struggling to pull my body a few more inches. Each one of his feet planted on either side of my body. His large hands roughly grabbed me by my waist tugging me off the ground and tossing me over his strong shoulder as if I weighed nothing more than a sack of feathers.

The world started spinning like a high-speed carousel. Black spots appear in my eyes clouding my vision as my mind faded in and out of reality. "no no no" was all I could halfway mutter. I wanted to fight, but I felt like my limbs were strapped to bricks. I could feel myself moving and swaying like I was being rocked to sleep. I promised Matt I would run if I had the chance, and I did. I kept to my word, now all I want to do is sleep...

"Wake up, Tills." A hushed voice whispered, one I recognized instantly. " You can't give up just yet." Matts voice in my head encouraged. "Come on, honey, wake up! WAKE UP! "