Westwood

THE FOLLOWING FRIDAY, Levi came home with a black eye.

Despite the fact that he slipped off his jacket quietly and kept his head down as he entered the apartment, it didn't go unnoticed by Lex's sharp eyes.

"Hi Levi," he greeted from his spot on the couch, and Levi froze in the dooropening of his bedroom, his back facing Lex.

"Um... hi," Levi muttered, before walking into his room.

"Wait, I wasn't done yet," Lex stopped him, and Levi shifted uncomfortably, but didn't turn around to face him.

"Why are you home this late?" Lex asked calmly, checking the clock on the wall before continuing, "it's almost six o'clock."

"I um... I was hanging out with some of my friends," Levi answered.

"Really?" Lex asked, sounding genuinely curious, "you should introduce me to these friends of yours sometime."

"I uhh... I can't."

"Why would that be?" Lex enquired, an undertone of sarcasm lacing into his voice.

"Because they um... they might recognize you! You wouldn't want that, would you?"

"Levi."

"Just... I'm kind of tired, okay? Could you leave me alone?"

Lex stood up with a sigh, putting his laptop aside and walking up to Levi, who shrunk back slightly.

Lex turned Levi around, and pulled his chin up with his index finger.

"Who did this?" he demanded, studying the bruise that was starting to form around his eye.

"Nobody!" Levi answered a little too quickly, stepping backwards, "I um... I walked into a tree!"

"Levi. If you're going to lie to me, at least use something less cliché."

"Fine, I was beat up by my one of my classmates! Is that what you wanted to hear?"

"Name?"

"Damien."

"Surname?"

"What does that even matter?"

"I need to know you're not making this up. Surname?"

"I don't know, something with 'wood' in it."

Lex frowned, his jaw steeling.

"Excuse me, I need to go beat someone up."

"Lex, no!" Levi grabbed Lex's arm before the latter could storm off, and Lex paused, giving Levi an unimpressed glare.

"No?" he repeated, raising both eyebrows.

"No," Levi echoed, "I... I can't let you. Besides... he'll think I'm not strong enough to handle it by myself."

Lex let out a soft hiss of annoyance when he realized Levi was right. Interfering would only make Levi's situation worse.

He glanced sideways, Isabel's gaze meeting his own.

Unless...

"Hmmm," Lex answered, "fine, I won't beat him up. But if you change your mind..."

"You'll beat him up for me anyway?" Levi managed a small smile, "thanks, Lex."

"It's nothing," Lex replied, pulling his hand out of Levi's grasp and averting his eyes, "like I said before, I can't hand you back to Ray in pieces."