Sneaky Little Rats Coming Up With Lies and Plans

*Hazel's pov*

Friday, ten pm.

I grabbed my over the shoulder bag and tip-toed to the door in the dark to head to the diner. At the same time, I caught my dad, Alan, and Jason tip-toeing behind me. We all looked at each other questioningly.

We were all about to ask each other where the others were going, but someone beat us to it.

The light blasted on and someone cleared their throat. We whipped around to find my mom. Next to her was Cameron. They both had their arms crossed. "Where are you all going this late at night?"

We all laughed nervously. She stepped up to my dad and stared into his eyes. "Where?"

My dad put on his million dollar smile and ran a hand through his hair. "I can't lie to you anymore, Sweat Pea." He used a horrible pet name but I think he might tell the truth! "You see, I've been going to night classes to learn how to be a better parent for Leo because he has a disability. I wanted to surprise you, but I guess you're finding out early." Okay that was not the truth.

My mom smiled and her eyes got all soft. "Oh, Sweetie. That is the nicest thing anyone could ever do. Thank you so much for trying so hard! I love you." She pulled him into a kiss. Ugh, she was kissing the lips that kissed another woman's. I hated seeing her kiss a cheater.

She stepped away from my dad and quickly pointed at Jason. "You. Where?"

He was obviously going to see Ian, but of course our family didn't know that. So he lied. "I was gonna go watch a movie with my friends. I knew you'd say no, cause it's so late." Dang, it was such a good lie that even I almost believed it.

She nodded in consideration and turned to me. "You. Where?"

Oh gosh, I had to think of a lie fast. "I've been tutoring Violet. She really needs to pick up her grade in chemistry or she'll have to find another way to get credits... Sorry for not telling you." I slumped my shoulders and put on a mask of guilt to make my lie more convincing.

"Okay, but why so late?" My mom asked, her eyes narrowing.

I threw up my hands in exasperation. "You guys already make fun of me for being a nerd! I don't want to make it easier for you by telling you I'm tutoring!" That was true enough.

"Whattttt?? Noooo..." My mom waved me off.

"We'd never make fun of you for thatttt." Cameron whistled and looked away, innocently.

"Pfftt. Whaaaa??" Jason pushed his face back into a double chin to express disbelief.

My dad just vigorously shook his head while repeating,"No no no no no..."

"Ha, nerddddd." Alan pointed at me and laughed. Everyone else turned to him and glared, including me.

"Well where were you planning on going this late, Mr.Badboy." I called him, sarcastically. Alan was far from a bad boy. He was more like Mr.IWatchStarWarsOnSaturdaysAndHaveACollectionOfActionFiguresFromTheFranchise.

He put on a smug grin and his eyes looked playful when he placed his hands on his hips and broadened his chest like a superhero. "I was going to my nightly Stars Wars Fanclub meeting."

We all looked at him with a look that said both 'seriously??' and 'I'm trying so hard not to laugh right now.'

"Really?? Really??!" I started. "And I'm somehow the nerdy one??'

"Hey, I'm a geek! Don't insult me by calling me a nerd, Nerd." Alan crossed his arms.

Before I could attack Alan, my mom yelled,"Enough!"