hyunjin

"hey you, do you know my feelings for you?" -around you

hyunjin pov

i woke up to my incessant alarm ringing. i had another lecture in college today.

viewing my closet, i chose to wear a yellow plaid skirt and detachable overalls over a tucked white blouse.

i looked in the mirror, satisfied, hoping that you would be too. staring into the mirror, i practiced my facial expressions just in case we would run into each other.

i awkwardly smiled into the mirror before giving up. i packed my books into my tote bag and headed out to catch the bus.

i was able to get on the bus on time, but it was packed, so i had to stand. the vehicle made another stop and more people boarded the bus. an old man stood behind me and kept trying to grab my hand that was on the handle.

you must've noticed because you moved and stood next to me, blocking the old man. you placed your hands on the bars next to me, making a little space for me. whether that was intentional or not, it touched me.

we got off the bus together, and i noticed you stretched your arms. they must've been sore. you smiled at me and i smiled back.

"hyunjin, right?"

i simply nodded, knowing that my mouth would blabber and mess things up.

"i believe you're in my class too?"

i nodded once more and you smiled at me. we walked in awkward silence until we reached our class and separately took our seats.

i sat near the back, close to the exit while you sat closer to the board. you took your seat and talked to your friends. i went on my phone but kept getting distracted by you.

class started eventually and passed quickly. i didn't notice that i was in a trance until you asked me.

"hyunjin? are you okay? class is over."

"ah. yes i'm fine. thank you," i told you, smiling.

"alright, have a nice day then!"

from that day, i saw you on the bus every time we had class. i liked it.

you realized too, that we would see each other on the bus. every time you boarded it, i would see your eyes look for me. your arms would be sore every morning from remaining in the same position for the whole ride, trying to give me space.

we were able to know each other a bit more each day. you had the courage to ask for my number.

"can we exchange numbers?"

"huh? s-sure."

i handed you my phone and you put your contact in.

"text me whenever you're bored or need something. i'll respond, okay?"

your voice was so assuring, and it made me feel safe and comfortable.

class was over once again and i saw you head out. i went my own way and headed to a convenience store. after buying myself a few refreshers, something told me to go back to the campus, so i did.

i was shocked to see you there alone, the sun setting behind you. had you even gone back home? were you there the whole time? haven't you eaten?

you rested your head, closing your eyes. you had fallen asleep, so i put one of my drinks next to you. if i had the courage, i would've sat there and waited for you, but all i did was run away and watch.

i caught one more glimpse at you and saw you stumble as you woke up. you took a look around before you gathered your bag and stared at the drink i left you. you didn't know who it was from, but you smiled.

"thank you," you said aloud.

you took it as you stood up. the rest of the day passed.

i was walking toward the bus stop when i saw you there. why were you here? not that it's a bad thing.

"hey hyunjin," you greeted me, smiling.

"what's the occasion?"

"i just had some extra time on my hands."

we waited for the bus quietly. it finally came, and we boarded it. you did the same thing you would any other day. your hands gripping on the poles beside me, protecting me and giving me space.

the bus stopped, and we got off. our conversation was less awkward than usual. i decided to ask a question, hoping that it wouldn't be completely silent afterwards.

"just wondering, is there a reason that you always put your arms on the handles around me?"

"i don't really know either. i guess i thought that you would be uncomfortable in such a small space."

"you thought right. thank you for that," i told you as we reached our class.

i noticed you stand there as i took my seat. you were contemplating about something, looking at the class.

"hmm."

"is there something wrong?"

"can i sit next to you today?"

i froze, my brain paused, my heart stopped. play it cool, kim hyunjin.

"of course," i said too excitedly.

i closed my eyes tightly and heard the chair next to me move. i looked over to you to see you place your bag down, smiling a big smile while sitting down.

class passed by pretty quickly today. was it because you sat next to me?

either way, we waved our goodbyes and i went to the convenience store. worried that i would see you on the bench again, i bought a few more extra drinks.

i rushed back to the bench, but you weren't there. i guess it wasn't everyday that you sat here. regardless, i took my own seat there. i placed my purchased drinks and bag down and leaned my arm on the arm rest.

before i knew it, i took a little nap.

i don't know how, but i felt someone sit next to me. i heard a sigh. it was you.

"hah... what am i going to do with you, kim hyunjin?"

you didn't know that i was awake and you still chose not to wake me up. my resting position wasn't the most comfortable, so you moved my head onto your lap.

"what a mess... hey kim hyunjin, do you know my feelings for you?"

~~~~~

q: what's your favorite drink?

aa: i prefer water but i think i prefer fruity drinks over creamy. i stopped drinking soda a few years ago tho