15

~~|2023|~~

Natasha took a bite of the peanut butter sandwich, swallowing both the food and her tears. "Find him," she told Rhodey, "please."

The man nodded before he disconnected.

Alone, Natasha's emotions spilled out in silence. Her best friend, her partner, was out somewhere in the world, on a killing spree. As a former assassin, Natasha knew what that kind of violence did to a person. She knew Clint would never truly come back from that. She had been so relieved to find out he was alive five years ago, but as time progressed, she found herself wishing he had been taken like the rest. At least he would still be the Clint Barton she knew and loved.

"I'd offer to cook you dinner, but you look pretty miserable already."

Natasha lifted her head out of her hands. "You here to do your laundry?"

"And to see a friend."

"Clearly, your friend is fine." As if her body was set on proving her wrong, Natasha sniffed.

"Who is it this time?" Steve asked, leaning against the shelf near the desk Natasha sat behind.

"Clint. Rhodey found a drug cartel in Mexico, all dead. Weapons weren't drawn, arrows here and there. How was therapy today?"

Steve sighed and dropped his jacket on the desk. "I keep telling people to move on and . . . grow. Some do, but not us."

"If I move on," Natasha said, her fingers rubbing the locket, "who does this?"

"Maybe it doesn't need to be done," Steve said.

"I used to have nothing," Natasha said, "and then I met James. I thought that was enough. I was content. Then Hydra tore that away from us. I had nothing. Then I got this job, this family. Through some miracle, I even got James back. I was better because of it, and even though they're all gone, I'm still trying to be better."

"We both need to get a life," Steve sighed.

"You first," Natasha said, smiling slightly.

Camera footage popped up behind Steve.

"Uh . . . hi! Is anyone home? This is Scott Lang. We met a few years ago, at the airport? In Germany? I got really big, and I had my mask on. You wouldn't recognize me."

"Is this an old message?" Steve asked, walking towards the hologram.

Natasha stood up behind the desk. "It's the front gate."

"Ant-man?" Scott continued on the footage, "Ant-man, I know you know that. I need to talk to you guys."

"How'd he find the compound?" Steve asked, "Tony moved it seven years ago."

"That's besides the point. Open the gate, let him in."

~~||~~

Scott paced the room in front of Steve and Natasha, looking as anxious as they'd ever seen anyone.

"Are you okay?" Natasha asked.

"I'm fine." He seemed to be struggling to ask something. After a few more steps, he faced them and blurted his question. "Have either of you ever studied quantum physics?"

Natasha and Steve shared a glance. "Only to make conversation," the former said.

"Alright," Scott said ,"so . . . five years ago, right before Thanos, I was in a place called the quantum realm. The quantum realm is like its own microscopic universe. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small. Hope, she's my . . . she was my. . ." Scott struggled for a moment, not really knowing what to say, "she was supposed to pull me out. And then Thanos happened, and I got stuck in there."