Chapter 33: Something To Hide

Start from the beginning

She scanned the title.

Northern City Subway Collapse – Scorp Tech at Fault?

Ryn's eyes widened, glancing at Colt. He merely gestured for her to read on.

Following the devastating incident under the streets of The Lights North, Investigators have traced back the cause for the train malfunction to originate from Scorp Tower.

A power surge was measured along the cables running parallel to the subway tunnels. These cables have been identified as direct property of Scorp Tech, used to power the below-ground levels of Scorp Tower.

When questioned, Scorp Tech Research Manager, David Housing, revealed that '...there have been a series of minor, unexpected surges within the experimental laboratories...'

These laboratories are situated within the below-ground levels of the Tower, and are electrically connected to the cables alongside the subway, so the investigators assigned to the case have determined that it is possible for these 'minor, unexpected surges' to build up to create the surge that caused the train accident.

Though the researchers of Scorp Tech have not yet been forthcoming about what could have caused the minor surges, Co-operative Research Manager, Sara McField, dictated the organisation's experimental records, and the investigators are considering the number of experiments conducted at the time surrounding the Train accident to be the potential cause at fault of the lives lost underneath the Northern City Streets.

She scanned through the rest of the article, but it revealed nothing more than the potential technical difficulties associated with the power surge.

'Does it say anywhere about which experiment is at fault? Anything about who died on the train crash? Anything at all?'

'I searched previous and following articles, but the only thing I found was the one about the train crash, itself, dated three days before this one. After that.... Nothing. Even this article was unexpectedly difficult to find, buried within layers of the archival website, rather than being in order with everything else. It's like it never happened. People just.... forgot.'

'Or perhaps they were forced to,' Ryn ruminated with a shift of both wings.

Now it was his turn to narrow his eyes.

'What do you mean?'

'Well.... Scorp Tech didn't seem willing to share much. In fact, they seemed to be throwing out just enough information to satisfy the papers, while simultaneously telling people nothing.'