Errik

Errik

Aria. What a beautiful name. And it fit her so perfectly.

"Aria?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you mind singing some for me? I mean, you said your dad has a love of music and all...maybe a gift of song runs in your family?"

"Oh, I don't know about that. I like, never sing, and I barely know you."

"Tell you what...come over here, and sit on the dock. Just humor me for a minute. Please?"

She hesitated. Then, "Oh...ok, fine." She came over and sat on the edge of the dock, feet dangling over the side.

I reached for her hand, and held it gently, then pleaded with my eyes. "Please sing for me? Just a little?"

She was speechless. Even her thoughts were a blur, she couldn't think straight. I smiled at this in my own mind. But I was thrilled to be holding her hand, and her not pull back. But then, I don't think she ever had a choice. Words slowly started to form, and eventually, she could start to answer.

"Uh...um...well...I-I guess so...maybe...you know...just...a little."

I grinned broadly, "I would like that." She got up the courage after laughing at herself, and she started to sing this beautiful song about wanting to be a part of my world-although, she still didn't know what I was. Then blended into a song that sounded a lot like advice from herself. So I thought I would take that advice. I tried to find something with my fin, so I could give myself a boost and reach Aria better. I found a pretty sizable rock, and tried to wrap my fin around it, but there was something slippery on it, and I went down into the water, accidentally taking Aria with me.

I have to be honest here. The look on her face was quite hilarious. She was surprised at being doused with water, and was soaking wet. So naturally, her shocked expression was really funny. She only lightly chuckled a couple of times, and so did I. I asked her in between laughs if she was alright. She said yes, she was. She was just surprised.

We laughed just a bit more while I placed my hands just above her elbows. We paused for just a moment. And something happened. I'm not sure what, but it was like we both instantly knew what the other was thinking in that moment. Slowly, we got closer and closer, and I just knew I was fixing to get my kiss I had waited so long for. Just inches away from each other, something else happened. My fin accidentally brushed by her leg. And that was it. She freaked out, screaming out her lungs, everything. She raced the few feet to the shore, and finished out her oh-my-gosh-what-was-that and ew-that-was-so-gross dances. I just sat where I was. I couldn't believe myself. I was this close to finally having my kiss. Now I knew I would never get it. And I would never love again (if that's what I was feeling now).

Did I forget to mention one little catch to this whole situation? I think I must have. This is another merfolk thing. If a human girl, and a merman kiss, and they're both in the water, the human becomes a mermaid, and they go off to live happily ever, yadda, yadda, yadda. But now all my dreams and hopes came crashing down. There was no way she'd ever love me now. There was no way I could ever come up with an excuse of what that was, and why I still hadn't come out of the water-and why I never could. It was just best if I said my goodbye now. Before my heart crumbled any more than it already had.

I looked up to see what Aria was doing. She was just finishing up wiping off her legs. She saw me and asked again, "What wasthat?" I couldn't answer. I just looked down. There wasn't a thing I could say that would explain anything. I gave up hope right then. I just listened to the silence between us, the crashing of the waves, and the occasional breeze blowing. I slowly started to turn around, so I could just swim away, and be forever forgotten. But something told me that she would never forget me. She might even look for me. But still, she would only be disgusted if she knew what I was. Especially now.

"Errik? What's wrong? Where are you going?"

I looked over my shoulder. "Nothing and nowhere. Just forget I ever existed."

"But, Errik, I can't do that. I mean, I know we just met...but I can just tell that...something-s-something's different about you. You're not like other guy's."

Ha. If only you knew. "Aria-"

"Errik, please. Don't try to make my decisions for me like everyone else in my life." My heartbeat quickened as she came back into the water. Not even hesitating once to see if there was something scaly still in the water. Her eyes were locked on mine. I could see her smiling, dancing eyes get closer, and closer. Until, finally, she was standing right in front of me. Inches away. She was fearless in this near-perfect moment. I felt like I might burst from happiness, but didn't want to get my hopes up. She may still hate me and scream when she finds out what I am.

She finally allowed herself to smile, and when I smiled back, she held the gaze for a few seconds, then blushed and looked down. That's when she saw, and put together all the pieces. This was it. She could very well hate me now. I could see it happening: she'd get grossed out by me, yell and scream at me, call me a freak, and run back up the hill to her house, and never look at the sea again because that's where I was. Yep...she hated me. It was a done deal. No way she could forgive me now.

She slowly formed words, "Oh...my gosh. It was you! You were that thing that touched my leg. You're a-a-a..."

"Yes, I accidentally touched your leg with my creepy fin. Go on, scream, call me a freak, and run off."

She gave me some form of amused and annoyed look. "Now, what did I say about telling me what to do?"

"You said not to do it, but-"

"So don't. Try it, it's not that hard." She paused while I stared at her somewhat adoringly. "Errik, you're a...a Merman. And all my life I have dreamt of a way to escape from this world and everything that irritates me about it. I mean...I've kind of hoped that there might be a way I could escape, and I fell in love with the sea a long time ago, so if there was a way..." She trailed off.

"You'd take it?" I finished for her.

"Well...yeah."

I waited a few seconds, debating on if I really wanted to do this. Yes, of course I wanted to. But was it best for her? Could she live with it? She kind of sounded like she could. And after all, she hadsaid that she dreamed of leaving her world. And she loved the sea. Maybe she could handle it...it was worth the risk...wasn't it?

"I, uh...I think I might know a way."

"Are you kidding me? Really? You're serious? Well...what is it? C'mon, tell me!-"

I didn't give her much chance to finish her excitement. As she was talking, I moved closer and closer to her, to where finally, I was close enough to kiss her. 

I felt her stiffen up slightly when our lips met. After a second or two of shock, she loosened up, wrapping her arms around my neck. It was a lingering kiss, and after it ended, I looked her straight in her beautiful eyes. I held her hands.

"Are you sure you want to do this? Become a Mermaid, and leave your world? There aren't any take-backs."

She giggled at my take-back comment. But she hesitated, looking back up the hill, where her family was. She looked back at me. We held a gaze for a minute, not talking. Just being silent. Finally, "I...well...." She sighed. "Errik, my family...they haven't exactly been the best. And I've never had any real close friends where I could have spontaneous sleepovers or anything. Nothing. I mean, I had a house by the sea, which was great. But I was missing one thing. One thing that would really make me happy. And that was you."

"So...?"

She giggled again, "So..." She took a deep breath. "Yes...Yes I will go with you, and become part of the sea." She finished off over-dramatically, which made me laugh.

"Ok then...here we go." I led her down into the water, where she began her transformation. I wouldn't think she could be any more beautiful than she already was, but I would have been wrong. She was by far the most beautiful girl in the entire world-human or Mermaid.