Chapter 5 - A Fractured Vow

Start from the beginning

Reyna.

She had been unconscious since they brought her here four days ago, but she was still alive. Her face was sunken with dark circles around her eyes and there was a frosting of dead skin on her lips. Dante saw the fresh bandages he had wrapped around her right elbow. The bleeding had stopped since the first day, but it was best to keep the wound protected from infection.

It was just the shock of her system having been deprived of its healing essence when it needed them most that had knocked her unconscious, Verden had said. As long as they gave her water and mashed up fruit, she would be fine and would eventually wake up on her own.

Dante sighed and licked his lips, waiting.

"I did not know this would occur. I had not wished for such to occur," Mundus said as if talking to himself.

He glanced at the demon.

"I had believed to be Marked. My father had believed it as well."

"What are you talking about?"

Mundus looked at him like he just noticed he was there. "It is...Perhaps my father can best explain it."

"Have you even talked to Auronmar?" Dante sighed. "I mean you did—"

The demon gave a small snarl. Dante decided not to spare him the glare. He instead gazed upon Reyna. "It's only been a few days since she fell unconscious. Don't you think she'd wake up by now?"

Mundus rested his elbows on his knees, his eyes on Reyna. "If what my brother said was true, then she shall awake soon. I am trusting his words."

Something dawned on Dante and a wash of dread suffocated him. How will she react when she finds out the truth of where we are? How this place, this refugee, survived? Will she go back to him?

A soft moan drew Dante and Mundus up to their feet. Reyna rustled under the sheets, her head turning towards them. Hazy blue eyes blinked against the light until they found focus on someone. 

"Dante?" Reyna said, her voice a raspy whisper. 

"Reyna?" He hesitated on hugging her in case such a hasty action might hurt her. 

"Dante!" She shot up from the bed and hugged him.

One arm was on his back and another around his neck. Even though no fingers were in his hair, Dante could feel her phantom touch on his skull. She pressed against him and the feel of her heartbeat on his chest melted away all his days' worth of worried thoughts.

"Reyna," he whispered in her hair. It was greasy and she smelled of dried sweat, but he didn't care. She felt whole and she felt alive and she was in his arms.

A soft sigh was heard and Reyna pulled away to see Mundus. She frowned. "Mundus? Are you...are you wearing human clothes?"

His smile was soft as his fingers caressed her cheek. "How suiting those are your first words to me."

"I..." Her eyes darted around the room and the expected confusion settled on her features. "Where are we?" Reyna reached for the blanket but her fingers never clutched it. She looked down and within the span of a second, Dante saw her face twist with horror, realization, and sadness only to settle on a mask of neutrality.

"My arm. I had forgotten," she whispered in a way that made Dante's chest ache.

"Reyna," Dante and Mundus simultaneously said. They glanced at each other and fell into silence. 

Reyna looked between the two. "Did you guys fight?" She pointed at Mundus' bruised jaw. 

The scowl that settled on Mundus' face gave Dante a smug sense of satisfaction.