The Four: Demitra

Demitra:

Is it unfair to say that I had never been angrier in my entire life? Maybe I didn’t know the whole story… But I did truly believe that something screwy was going on with my brother. Not to mention I’m in some “superhuman facility,” or whatever Winna called it and I don’t know why I’m here or how I got here or how long I’ve been here for. Today has really not been my day.

            Xander sat across the table from me, looking guilty. I wished I could talk to him. Alone, I mean, not in front of everyone. I wanted to know why he was so healthy now. Lost in my thoughts, I failed to notice that everyone was quiet. I looked up. Aden had a look of confusion on his face, Kendra had her arms crossed, glaring at Winna, Winna was smiling creepily at Aden, and Niall, at least I thought his name was Niall, was practically hiding under the table. Poor guy.

            “Can I…  Can I see these super people?” Aden asked, clearing his throat. He sat up taller in his chair. I raised an eyebrow. If there were super people, I would like to see them. I glanced at Xander. He was staring at his hands. Was I too hard on him? Maybe these people had healed his cancer; couldn’t super people do stuff like that? I grit my teeth. It was interesting theory but it was highly unlikely.

            Winna chuckled, “Of course! You all can!” She motioned to the four of us. Kendra looked at her with a critical eyebrow raised. Even Niall sat up in his seat a little. Her eyes grazed over us as if she was deciding something. Xander met eyes with her and nodded. A split second later Xander wasn’t there, his seat replaced by… Winna? Now there were two Winna’s and I was becoming very confused.

The Winna that I assumed to be the real Winna said, “Xander is a shape shifter. He can become anything as long as it is living. His most well known shape is a sick, cancer-struck boy,” she glanced at me sadly, “Your brother Demitra is very skilled with his power.” Xander turned back to himself and I gaped at him. Fury flew through my veins. He was… A fake? I wanted to scream at him.

            “Sorry Dem…” he whispered, barely meeting my eye. I bit my tongue. I wasn’t going to let myself yell at him right now. I faced Winna, she too looked somewhat guilty.\

            “How do we know this isn’t a trick?” I asked slowly. Kendra muttered something in agreement.

            “Did it look like a trick?” Winna sounded slightly aggravated.

            “Nope,” said Aden quickly. He grinned at Winna and Xander, “Are there more people like that?” Winna nodded, looking eager. She stood up, Aden quickly followed her lead. Eventually everyone was standing except for me. I looked at them all. Niall looked confused as to why he was standing up, so did Kendra. Aden had an ecstatic look painted on his face. I stood up slowly. Winna motioned us towards the archway that I had entered through. Xander stood back and started walking next to me. I tried not to look at him.

            “I can explain Dem,” he whispered to me. I said nothing back, he had liel to me and my family. He was fake.

            “Demi please, let me explain,” he said with a little more force. I felt betrayed by him. Anything anyone had ever done was feel bad for Xander and try to help Xander. But he was fake. I looked at him. My big brother was fake and I didn’t know what to do about it.

            “You lied to us Xander,” My voice was weak. Xander gave me a sad look.

            “It wasn’t a lie… I had a good reason. You have to believe me,” He sounded almost desperate.

             “And what is that reason Zan?” I asked him, challenging him. His face fell.

          “I can’t tell you that right now. I’m not allowed to,” he grimaced uncomfortably. He wavered back and forward on his feet. I snorted.

            “Okay Zan. Whatever you say,” After that, I hurried ahead to catch up with the rest of the group. They were far ahead of me, walking down a straight hallway. Xander didn’t follow me.

We entered a room that resembled a small arena. There were racks of swords, bows, and other weapons that were unfamiliar to me. There were monkey bars, a balance beam over a small pool of water, and multiple other contraptions that looked tricky and complex. The arena was full of kids. Everyone stopped what they were doing as soon as we entered. They turned and looked at us. Everyone was around my age.

Winna cleared her throat, “Everyone I would like you to meet Aden, Demitra, Kendra, and Niall.” She grinned at us. I glanced at the crowd of people. I felt intimidated. Winna glanced back the crown of people.

“Okay… Carry on,” she motioned for the teens to get back to what they were doing. Quickly, they all began climbing up fake tree at impossible speeds and swinging swords at each other. That’s when the unbelievable happened.

Kids were disappearing and reappearing a few yards away. Some were levitating each other or lifting each other up with ease. Winna wasn’t kidding when she said “super humans.” I quickly snapped out of my trance. I was dreaming, or drugged, or something. This wasn’t real. This couldn’t be real. Winna motioned a red haired boy over. He was tall and extremely pale. His eyes were almost a violet blue color.

“Kennan, why don’t you show these four what you can do?” She smiled and patted his arm in a warm gesture. Kennan looked at us and beamed. His teeth were impeccably white. He turned and ran full speed at the wall, climbing up the sleek steel wall as if he were rock climbing. Once he got to the ceiling, he hung there on his finger tips, holding on to nothing. We all stared at him in awe.

Pushing off the sleek ceiling, he landed gently on his feet and walked back over to us. Once he was standing next the Winna he bowed. Winna smirked at him. I watched as he leaped, flipped, and bounded away from us, back to a group of kids that seemed to be playing dodge ball.

“We call him Spider. He can climb on any surface of anything. He is also an excellent gymnast, “She looked over at him and then back at us.

“Whoa,” Kendra and Aden said in unison. They shot a glance at each other then looked back at Winna. “How did he… Do that?” Aden asked, distracted by the commotion in the room. I was wondering the same thing. This situation seemed to becoming more and more real, not that I believed in it completely yet.

“It’s his ability. He was born with it,” Winna shrugged and eyed an Asian looking girl with a bob haircut, “Daisy? Can you come over here for a moment?” The girl looked up from what she was doing and walked over where we were standing. She grinned and waved at us.

“Daisy will you show us your skill?” Winna asked politely. Daisy brushed a strand of hair behind her ear and held her hand out. Suddenly we began floating. Everything in the room was floating. Like there was no-

“Daisy here controls gravity,” Winna remarked. Kids around the room were shooting nasty looks at us. They didn’t seem to like that there was no gravity.

“One, two, three…” Daisy said slowly and then we all dropped. We were only two or three feet up but we all had a hard landing. After a minute or so of recuperating, we all stood up and Daisy walked away. Winna turned to me and squinted her eyes.

“Do you still think this is a trick Demitra?” She asked her voice somewhat menacing. I looked out at the room full of super humans and strangely enough I began to believe that all of what was going on truly was real.

A/N: Alright sorry that was such a bad attempt at a cliff hanger. I have had awful writers block for the past week and this chapter was sort of a hodge-podge of thoughts that i didn't quite finish(hence why this chapter is so short). I hope you guys didn't think it was to bad though... please comment :) Thanks!

-MadnessOrBrilliance